MMA lets talk grappling gi and/or nogi...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Apr 7, 2009.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

why is the gi so hard for me to deal with. :squint:
    :wtc:
    :wtc:

ive trained 99% nogi. started in gi, have spent quite a few months seriously putting time on the mat in nogi & mma and just recently have gone back to visiting some classes to train the gi.
    -i feel so cumbersome and slow in the gi.
    -guard passing is such a chore when your opponent has so many extra grips to help maintain and regain a hook. :mad:
    -and with bigger/stronger guys im just getting stuck in stupid stalemates because they have these handles on me to maintain a somewhat safe position.

-I suck. :o

i didnt do too badly tho, every time i got swept it was because the training partner was better at exploiting my weakness of gi knowledge. :wtc:
    and the purple belt dominated me positionally and only tapped me once with a slick armbar setup. :bigthumb:

what are your thoughts, gripes, or preferences in training gi or nogi?
    do any of you excel in one area but feel inferior in the other?

2. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

never trained gi :o

3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

i know.
    :squint:

you ever gonna come back down?

4. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

I like gi better :dunno:

5. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

2 weeks, I'll give you a call

6. Spectatorsport

Spectatorsport OT Supporter

I suck at both, lol, however at our club we do mostly gi, but in the summer we tend to do more no gi since the a/c isn't as good in the rec room.

A couple of things I've noticed / have pointed out to me recently when I've been doing gi stuff.

One way to help break gi grips is to pull their hand toward their weaker side (i.e. the thumb or 'up and away' and not parallel with their arm if that makes sense, since their grip will be really strong if you do pull on their arm.) Also a reason when attempting a kimura / americana to have your thumbs above and not under (along with the rest of your fingers), since 1) thumb is weak 2) your wrist is weak (relatively speaking). If one goes over the top like this you can increase the lever and consequently the pressure on your opponents arm since your hand slides a little higher and raises your arm higher. Sorry if this makes no sense, bjj.text is hard.

Another thing with gi technique is that you can finger climb on their gi or your own gi to establish a position / break a position / hold. I find since I'm not as strong as a lot of guys that I go with, I can slowly work my way into position. However in no gi I would have a lot more time straining to get to that same hand position with my opponent fighting me and my hands not having anything to brace against.

Lastly, I notice that a lot of purple and above will use my gi and or my belt against me. So I try and tie my belt extra tight sometimes before we roll. Its nuts how many times my arm will get wrapped up and basically I lost one limb and have to fight for my life with my remainding 3 limbs.

7. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

are you allowed to use their belt and tie it around limbs?

8. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

I like GI better because i'm not that athletic and i can suck my opponents in and slow their games down. I also like how methodical you have to be with the gi, i love playing guard in the gi because there are so many attacks and options and the guard is very hard to pass

9. Spectatorsport

Spectatorsport OT Supporter

I don't think so for competition?

But our club is kind of 'chill / lax' and we roll more for fun and not so much competition training.

10. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

gi. i really dislike nogi.

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I started out in nogi, hated the gi for a few years, finally was told "you need to train in the gi" then I started working it seriously, now I prefer it a LOT. so much more technical and no wiggle room to exploit.

gi chokes > *.setups

12. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I like GI, I really do but man, I'm a no-gi guy at heart. The one thing I do love about the Gi is the collar chokes, its one of things I can get on guys a lot bigger than me consistently without being overpowered.

That said, I train equally in both.

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Trained the first few months, thankfully had someone convince me how retarded it was to do only no-gi and have been training pretty much only gi for the last 3 years. Seems to me gi players can jump to no-gi fairly easily but not the other way around. I cant say I have a huge amount of faith in anyones ability who says they only do no-gi bjj.

14. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

why?

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:squint:
    my favorite part of nogi is the quick and rapid positional transitions that naturally come with the freedom of nogi.

however, i do very much enjoy the detailed sweeps of the gi from x-guard, de la riva, spider, etc...

16. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

dude has some really solid traditional jiu jitsu

17. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i trained gi maybe 4/5 days a week for most of my time doing jiu jitsu..

actually whenever there was a no gi day i'd make it a point not to miss it because i really cared about that much more.

i only began liking the gi as a purple belt to be honest with you.. and thats because i had some difficulty with all the grips and all the crap associated with it..

however.. when you start sinking your teeth into the methodology of establishing and breaking grips.. it begins to make a lot more sense.

in no gi you can spaz or slip your way out of positions. with the gi, its like untying different knots. you cant just blow through things, you have to solve a puzzle. and thats why its difficult for you. youre trying to play the gi game, with a no gi approach

plus you train only no gi now.. and its just a much harder transition from no gi > gi, than the other way around...

18. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

The gi is so much harder to me. Everything becomes a handle for control and the threat of collar/gi submissions is really great. You've got to be super technical to be successful. My nogi game is way better when I do a lot of gi work, but not the other way around.

19. roose

roose Guest

I've been training for a month now and I really enjoy the gi.

:dunno:

20. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

gi>*

if you want to see why come visit me....

1401 S. Mcclintock Dr, Tempe AZ 85251

21. ZZex

ZZex New Member

In the past, I use to train no-gi all the time because of the class schedule. Eventually it became 3 gi classes a week, 1 no-gi. The gi is still hard for me to deal with since grips become an even bigger factor. I actually enjoy gi much more than nogi now.

22. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I dig gi a lot more than no gi. Most people I end up rolling with nogi either fall right back into their wrestling roots or spaz out whenever you begin to get a grip on anything.

I very rarely do no gi.

All you guys who say you prefer no gi, mind posting how long you've been training? I think it's really overwhelming to people getting started having so many hanldes and chokes available with the gi on.

23. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Used to train all no gi. The past 3 months I've been training gi at my new academy. It's a big change and I wish that I had it backwards where I trained gi previously.

I like both. I train both. I don't prefer one over the other. I'm much BETTER no gi - but that doesn't mean I like it more. Gi feels much more like true/pure jiu jitsu. I've been growing fonder of it by the class.

That being said - I need a lot of work in both.

24. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

3-4 sessions a week nogi, 4-5 sessions a week gi. Been training almost three years now.

It was always an equilizer for me so loved it. Big guy who doesn't know anything trying to "wrassle," just grab his collar and give a little squeeze.

25. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Unreal. 8-9 times a WEEK on the mat.