GUN Let's talk Civil Disobedience

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Dec 11, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Civil Disobedience = the active refusal to obey certain laws, demands and commands of a government, or of an occupying power, without resorting to physical violence. (Wiki)

What got me thinking about this was Part III of the 'Penn & Teller: Gun Control Bullshit' vids that Thormor posted. Specifically, the lady that was involved in the mass execution in a small diner in Texas. Long story, short; the lady left her gun in her car because Texas law said she had to. Subsequently, her parents were murdered, and she had no way to prevent it. Thanks, Texas.

Another example being the Virginia Tech shootings, where students and instructors were barred from carrying. A good person ignoring a stupid law could have prevented some of this.

So the question is; How far should we as gun enthusiasts take our actions to show how strongly we feel about our cause? Carry on campus? Carry in other 'gun-free zones'? Should you ignore Cali's laws and order that pistol grip you've been wanting, or some hi-cap mags you aren't supposed to have, or whatever else they've deemed capable of killing ponies.

How far would you go or have you gone? What's an acceptable level of civil disobedience?

Thoughts?

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Welp. I'm in a similar conundrum. (sp?)

I'm going to be visiting MN, WI, IL, and transiting IA over the holidays. MN honors my TX permit, but the other three do not. I was pretty much planning to leave my gun at home, but I'm not sure.

It's easy to say "better judged by 12 than carried by 6," but the odds of being judged by 12 seem much, much higher. :hs:

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Gun owners have a serious PR issue. I think that is going to be very important to keep in mind for anything you have planned. If you want to show how strongly you feel can you do it without breaking the law? Can you have a protest with empty holsters or holsters with fake guns in them?

I think its also a different matter to try to further your cause and make a show of carrying than it is to break the law and carry concealed because you feel like you have the right.

I agree with that, alot of people like their catchy sayings but I know I'm a lot more likely to be drug out of my car after a wreck by emts and have my gun found than I am to actually need the gun.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'd still look into those states, things vary by state a good bit, you might not need a permit to have it in the car with you or you might not be able to have it out of plain sight. I'd look into what you can do at home and if a hotel is considered a "temporary dwelling." Finally I'd look at transport and peaceable journey laws in those states.

As long as there isn't a problem with having it in a locked box in the car during the day, I personally would probably take it with me be legal during the day and at least leave it on my night stand at night. Then drop the mag and back into the box it goes.

Its just a matter of how much jumping through hoops, you feel like doing to have you gun with you when the law allows it.

5. JaimeZX

Hm. The idea of wearing just my holster is semi-appealing. Might be a lot of hassle though. I'll only be in MN for like, 2 1/2 days out of the 8 I'm up there. Maybe I need one of those big-ass umbrellas. :rofl:

6. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

read the doc v heller thing I just posted it addresses this as well.

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I almost got screwed by this same thing. I went to KC, MO last week and all the states I passed through honor non-resident FL permits except KC. I had no reason to go into KC other than going to the Cabela's but we ended up not going. For the record, I'd've carried anyway.

Since Louisiana has added some states it's the same as FL for the most part so I'll probably just get it when my FL permit expires.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Not just a hassle, it might get you arrested. I would plan your protests carefully :)

9. JaimeZX

How could you get arrested for wearing a holster? I could see maybe getting hassled, but not arrested. :dunno:

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Cops will make up some bullshit like inciting a riot or disturbing the peace or something the same way they hassle people who legally open carry. :rolleyes:

11. JaimeZX

Yah, I thought you might go there. :dunno:

If I was gonna be OBVIOUS about wearing a holster, I'd rather have one of these than my Answer:

[​IMG]

:coold:

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

1 example:
    DISORDERLY CONDUCT: in that Shawn (SIC) Kranish knowingly did an act in such an unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb Janna L. Shwaiko and provoke a breach of peace to wit Shawn (SIC) Kranish walked into the Presidents (SIC) office and requested from Shwaiko a meeting with the President. Kranish was wearing a blue jacket with the words "I Carry" on the front of the jacket and he was also wearing a black nylon pouch or handgun holster. Shwaiko believed Kranish to be carrying a gun and it alarmed her in violation of 720 ILCS 5/26-1(a) of the Illinois Compiled Statutes.

Officer Edward Crumb, #167
    Complainant

13. H.P.

H.P. Guest

you're fine in IL if

1) you do not carry
    2) it must be in a case inside a vehicle
    3) it cannot be loaded
    4) if you get pulled over, you better fucking declare it :rofl:

14. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Kinda weak if you cross someone that goes ape shit about everything.

15. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

16. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I've carried in IL while visiting my parents but I doubt I will do it again. I had it on from the drive home and didn't take it off till the end of the night...I actually forgot I had it on :o