Let's talk cardio...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KenKaniff, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

This is not for noobs, so don't add in your worthless comments.

For the guys that have gone through a bulking cycle, and then proceeded to cut to single digit bf numbers, what kind of cardio did you do? High intensity, short duration i.e HIIT, or low intensity, long duration, I.E walking on a incline treadmill at 3-4 mph? Which, BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCE, preserved more muscle?

2. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

dude i bulked and cut down to a nice lean size with no muscle loss...you dont need cardio if the calories are right bro

my experience with cardio has been very catabolic and leaves you looking like you did in your pictures

3. NickStam

NickStam Buy Low, Sell High

Ken,

Did you quit UD2.0 yet?

4. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

nope still on it. But considering quitting based on what a couple of people at the gym have told me :-(

5. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I think I can reply here.

What works for me when preparing for a contest:

week: 12-10 Light cardio after workout, 140-160 bmp (20 minutes a day for 3 days/week)
    week: 9-7 morning cardio, 20 min. 4 days a week 160bmp
    week: 6-3 morning cardio 45 minutes/evening cardio after workout 30 minutes 4 days aweek 160-bmp
    week: 2-1 morning cardio 60 minutes/evening cardio 45 minutes, 160-170bmp

when I'm not prepping for a contest I'll go 4-5 times a week and keep HR around 140-150 for about 20-30 minutes and I will go 2 times in the morning and 3 will be after workout.

6. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

Dude this is the problem. I've NEVER been skinny. ever. So I'm basically trying to undo years of being fat, but cutting the cals WAY below maintenance and by doing cardio. I went from 260 (fattest) to 225 (strongest) to now 195. I honestly thought I was gonna be perfectly happy at 205, but I was'nt. At this rate, I'm gonna end up being 170 -ish before I hit single digit bf numbers. I've never had a problem getting big and strong, but getting and looking lean is frustrating the ever living hell out of me :-(

7. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

With all that cardio, what do your calories look like, day in and day out?

8. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I don't count calories.

as a matter of fact I go off of how I am looking to determine what I am going to be eating day in and day out. Its going to change when the cardio increases, and it gets lower and lower.

I will go as low as 80 carbs/day and as high as 200. 600 on carb load
    fats will be as high as 80 and as low as 20/day
    protein will be as low as 150 and as high as 300.

but thats me tho. I've talked to other bbers day of show and they are taking in about 30-50 carbs/day 3 weeks out and carb load only to 400 while their fats are 100-120/day.

so.....

9. JP®

JP® New Member

This is golden advice right there guys.
    I:love: teh flimboi.

10. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

ok so check this, I'm [email protected]'0 dunno bf percentage, but I'm trying to get rid of the last smidgen of love handles and a small reserve of fat on my lower stomach. It's funny because my upper abs are visible, but my lowers are blocked by the fat. My protein intake is about 300 grams per day, carbs 50-60, fats 40-60. I know you can't spot reduce fat, but I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of that last bit of fat, without losing anymore muscle...

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

wtf is cardio?

12. jonno

jonno New Member

i've never been in single digits but i did lose alot of bf... i usually ran for 30-35 minutes at 6mph

13. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

did you lose alot of muscle as well?

14. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

explain to me your cardio routine. Why are you eating 300 grams of protein? In a proper diet youwill be hungry all the time, so don't overenduldge(sp?)

15. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

oh, and you will have to sacrafice a little muscle with fat loss...especially where you wanna go now

16. grifty mcgrift

grifty mcgrift New Member

speedbag/heavy bag for 15 min... mad cardio and nun of that running on a hamsterwheel boredom... it gets the blood pumpin in a hurry.

17. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

cardio routine consist of moderate pace running @ 6mph for about 25 minutes, then I hope on the elliptical for 15 minutes @ a 5-6 intensity, 4x a week.

See the thing is, I WAS hungry all the time, and I lost of shitton of muscle, I've posted my before and after pics and everyones seems to think so too. At this point what I want to do is hold on to what ever muscle I have left, while getting rid of the last bit of fat on my body...
    I can post my pics if you want...

18. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

yeah post the pics.

have you tried going to do cardio in the morning? THis is the best time to hit the cardio. I've read (yes Filmy actually read science) that your body is in the glycogen burn so it will be used as fuel and only burn fat instead of muscle tissue. This also applies after a workout, but not as good as morning.

Try doing something other than running and eliptical. Try the bike at a slow steady pace. Also try upping your carbs a little too. What I've known to happen to me is that once my body adapts to me having next to zero carbs it holds on to them and the fats and its harder to burn off. Up the carbs, let them be used for energy and have your body get used to burning carbs and it will come a little easier.

also, have you figured if it was water weight or not?

19. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

I'll try the morning cardio thing, see if that helps. In regards to the carbs, I actually carb load once a week. I take in about 600-700 grams of carbs on that one day. Would that be sufficient?

20. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

oh an also filmy, what do you suggest in terms of training while cutting? High rep (12-15)/low weight movements, or go heavier/less reps?

21. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

and I would say that this is 90% of your problem. If you've been fat most of your life as you said. I would advise you NOT to carb load once a week.

The purpose of a carb load is to swell the muscles after they've been depleted for an extended period of time. Extended meaning 10 weeks or so...that kinda ballpark.

I would say that you shouldn't carb load at all for at least 4 weeks.

22. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

whatever your body can handle. I know when come show time I can do anything at all.

So, what I do is slow contractions and slow negatives. I pull the vascularity out as much as I possibly can. I will also change it up as far as weight goes,but I will make sure that I"m always getting 6-10 reps...nothin gmore nothing less

23. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

hmmm really? no carb load at all? If not carb loading, at least upping the carbs to about 150ish once a week?

24. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

play with the carbs with in the 80-120 area...but never break 150 for more than a day.

See its hard to determine what will work for you, what I'm trying to do is give general advice on what should work. You really have to know and understand whta your body can take and benefit from.

25. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.