WEB Let's talk about writing copy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Are there any "copy writing templates" or anything?

Is it possible to write effective copy that doesn't sound super stupid, or is that the most effective way to do it?

For those of you who sell (your own) products on your website, did you write your own copy or did you outsource it?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'd recommend hiring a copy writer. :o

3. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

:hsugh: you mean a write copier?

4. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Wrote cipier?

5. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

Copper Wire?:hsugh:

6. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Wopper Cire???!?!?!??1111111111 [​IMG]

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:rofl:

8. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Hire a copywriter. My wife has been doing it for two years. They help with the overall flow of the content and make it relevant to your industry without sounding like a car salesman (unless you wan that).

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

what's an average price to pay for that?

10. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

there is no average.
    Entirely depending on the skills of the writer and the content amount and subject matter.

11. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

outsource FTW!

But it can be hard to find a good copywriter that is good, knows anything about keyword density and that you know you can trust not to resell the content...unless you pay a shitload per word. Then again, the value of good solid unique content is worth it in the end.

What sucks even more is once you do find a great copywriter, get some great unique content on your site, your shits just going to get scraped and plastered all over scrape sites and it won't be unique for long lol.

12. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (pozcumlubedberry 9000: Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13057/558; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Rorl

13. TripleFive

TripleFive Someone Sell Me A Porsche! OT Supporter

Post it up on elance and let people bid on it?

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

what if you have a super niche, proprietary product?

15. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

pretty much any text published online will get crawled eventually. If it isn't a super paying keyword niche or very common it may take a while for the spam scrapers to find it but probably won't stay hidden forever. Unfortunately, the same things that you need to do to get real traffic to a site also make it more susceptible. But that is why everyone preaches about having good unique content that is updated regularly. Google loves it and it helps keep your site unique.

16. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Honestly, anything original and you're own images will put you way ahead of the majority. Imo content is probably the biggest factor in what makes or breaks an E-Commerce site, and the majority of them just don't get it.

I was the developer @ a niche E-Commerce company for 4 years. We had 3 competitors. The only real difference (especially in the earlier days) between our site and all the others is we wrote original product descriptions and took our own pics for 99% of the products listed, while everyone else just copied and pasted the manufacturers description and pics. Our prices where also considerably higher and we charged a killing on shipping (I multiplied all values returned in xml file from UPS rate quotes by 1.75).

People were constantly telling us how awesome our website was and how much they loved it, (and there's nothing at all special about it...other than the content).

Today, out of the 4 sites, one is in a completely different market, another they bought out (profits were around $1k per month:hsugh:....eventually shut down the site), another recently had a disgruntled ex-employee posting in forums about them not being able to make payroll, and the one I worked for/built is still going strong, w/ sales of a couple million/year.

So there's the secret to E-Commerce. Content is the only difference between a multi million dollar/year site and 3 other sites going out of business. Not the latest, high tech programming/software, not seo and advertising, not pricing.....just a little effort put into product descriptions and pictures. You've already figured it out....congrats!

*Edit- example of a product desc/pics from that site ---> http://tinyurl.com/cjnz75

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  17. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm also really interested in hearing from anyone who's outsourced this and how it worked out. Every major site I've been involved with has had at least one full time employee dedicated to this.

It could definitely be something that's better to outsource, especially if it means a faster time to market. Might be hard to outsource photography off site though. That's the more time consuming part anyway. Another issue is they kind of need to be at least somewhat familiar with the products to write original product descriptions. It's not really something that some random freelancer from India can do for .50 cents an hour.

18. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Good freelancers do a lot of vertical research before writing. They study the products or the business as well as the subject matter before finally tackling the project.

Our lead content writer is one of the best she is excellent at researching as well as keyword rich (if needed) content....with outside sounding repetitive.

19. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's what I was thinking, too.