MMA Lets talk about hypoxic training ie the snorkel method

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Oct 26, 2009.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I think I understand the general concept behind snorkel training. You are plugging up the nose, and forcing air through the mouth. Then you have the snorkel, and this is where I'm a bit confused. Does the elongated tube make breathing more difficult, and thus decreasing the oxygen that enters the lungs?

If this is the case, could you just get the same effect by wearing a shop mask for instance, that sort of stifles the air flow? Why go to the lengths of taping a snorkel to headgear?

And the definition of hypoxia from wiki: Hypoxia is a pathological condition in which the body as a whole (generalized hypoxia) or a region of the body (tissue hypoxia) is deprived of adequate oxygen supply. Variations in arterial oxygen concentrations can be part of the normal physiology, for example, during strenuous physical exercise. A mismatch between oxygen supply and its demand at the cellular level may result in a hypoxic condition.

Thoughts, opinions, schoolings?

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Thoughts?

It's stupid. Just work hard and do cardio. Sprints and hills.

3. GreatDeceiver

So you don't think there's any benefit to this sort of training? Altitude training has been pretty popular among all sorts of athletes and this is supposed to simulate this. In the long run, your body will get fatigued faster and force your body to increase the mass of red blood cells and hemoglobin. So in theory when you fight or play with normal oxygen levels you'd be more competitive.

4. teep

teep New Member

At the elite level everyone trains hard and everyone more or less does the same shit. People will seek out any little thing to give them some sort of edge. Whether it's good or not, I personally can't say because I don't know enough. I just think that for every day guys like us there's nothing wrong with sticking to the good old fashioned stuff.

5. GreatDeceiver

Agreed, sort of. The reason I want to stimulate this discussion is because I've been trying to beef up my portfolio lately and I want to design a combat training product. I saw Wandy and some others training with this ghetto set-up and did some research on the theory. It seems plausible, and so I want to see if there is a market opportunity for a more simplified, comfortable, and user-friendly product that would allow pros and joes alike to try this method.

So I'm just wondering what you guys think, is it worth exploring or if you saw a mask or something of the sort at a store or online like this would you just thin it was retarded? :hs:

6. GreatDeceiver

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I'm guessing it's to simulate training at high altitude. Training in a lower oxygen environment (like here, where the elevation is 1 mile above sea level, and 30 minutes away is a mountain trail that's another mile above that) increases your red cell count, so when you compete at sea level, your endurance is significantly better.

Breathing through a snorkel, you have that 12 or so cubic inches of co2 that you're breathing over and over, which effectively decreases the amount of oxygen you're getting with each breath. So it's sort of like training at altitude.

8. teep

teep New Member

I would never buy one, but that's probably a good sign. If executed properly, I see a huge potential market from the tapout/affliction crowd. Sean sherk does something similar too with a gas mask or something like that with the eyes blacked out.

9. GreatDeceiver

Yeah, everything you said in the first paragraph is accurate based on what I've read. It's the second part that I was unsure about, but what you say coincides with my theory on the snorkel so that's good. I just need to figure out how to simulate the effect by eliminating the tube taped to headgear and replacing the tape over the nose with one efficient but comfortable design.

10. GreatDeceiver

Interesting. Do you have any links or vid of what Sherk uses? I guess I could try to find it myself lol

11. teep

teep New Member

i can't remember which training video it was (he has a lot), but i think it was one where Hughes went to MN to train with him.

12. Joe_Cool

I don't know for certain, but it seems to me like the long tube might be essential, because instead of restricting your breathing, it forces you to rebreathe co2. :dunno:

You could maybe use a diving mask (to eliminate the tape over the nose) with a flexible tube to eliminate the rigid overhead snorkel tube... maybe wrap it back around the head, or hanging down?

13. Joe_Cool

Although now that I think about it, co2 is heavier than oxygen, so letting the tube go horizontal or down would lose part of the co2 rebreathing effect because it would mix more with the surrounding air.

14. GreatDeceiver

Yeah see I'm not positive on the importance of CO2 in the equation. At a higher altitude the oxygen content is the same, but the barometric pressure is lower and hypoxic tents and respirators keep the barometric pressure pretty much the same, but reduce the oxygen content.

I wish I was smarter with the technical stuff. Once I understand it, I can create a pretty slick design, I just need to make sure I get the dynamics right :o

15. Poppa Large

Poppa Large New Member

Doesn't having more red blood cells increase your heart rate since your blood is more viscous?

16. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

This shit is stupid.

Train hard, eat clean. If you need to use a fucking snorkel to win fights - you're doing it wrong.

17. Joe_Cool

Yeah it's stupid to try to get better results from the same amount of training.

18. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

This is fighting. Not a breathing, red blood cell contest.

The best FIGHTERS win the fight. Not the best red blood count cells.

19. Joe_Cool

And when two FIGHTERS are roughly equal in skill, the one with the better ENDURANCE never WINS.

EVER.

Physical CONDITIONING has nothing to do with the outcome of a FIGHT.

20. Joe_Cool

GreatDeceiver, I'm assuming you've already seen this, but just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_training

21. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

No.

You are a retard and Wanderlei is a retard for doing this.

When GSP, Penn, Anderson, Lesnar, Fedor and Mousasi are using a fucking SNORKEL to get an advantage over their opponents, I'll listen.

Until then - this is retard shit and just some fucking "trick" that washed up fuckhats are trying to use to gain an advantage.

Wanderlei would be much better suited using his time learning boxing defense than running around hitting a tire with a face mask and snorkel on.

22. Joe_Cool

:hsugh: You're an idiot. I guess fighters should just work on skills and completely ignore conditioning, because if they can't KO or submit their opponent in the first minute of the fight they obviously have other things they should be working on instead of endurance.

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

[​IMG]

24. Joe_Cool

Altitude training is old and effective. Using a mask is just a way to accomplish the same thing without moving cross-country.

25. Joe_Cool

PS, Drag On, I'm still waiting for you to PM me your paypal info so I can pay up our bet, homo.