Let's talk about aerobic exercise and heart rate

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GlassUser, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

If you haven't followed any of my threads recently, I've been losing weight, getting back into shape, and training to do a super-marathon canoe race (which I've done before, but I really want to do better).

I'm getting back into decent shape, doing regular aerobic exercise, and trying to figure out where to best concentrate. I'm kinda concerned about my heart rate - basically, when I use the machines and really push myself, they practically say "stop because you're about to die".

I am fairly fit for super-endurance racing. I could hop on a bike tomorrow and go a hundred miles and barely feel it the next day. But at that pace (you know, I'll get on a machine in the gym and do a five hour run to get a scientifical analysis of this) my heart rate is about 155 bpm and I'm taking 16.5 breaths a minute. I can do an hour on an elliptical with pretty much identical metrics. If I push myself to a high rate that I can only sustain for a few minutes, my heart rate will go as high as 190.

Nothing hurts, I have no angina (kekeke), my pulse is rock solid - no fluttering, and I'm not shaky or passing out. It just seems that it's a really high rate in the grand scheme of things. Any input?

2. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

Unless you get ekg stuff its hard to pin point or you do a true anaerobic threshold test. Are you using a HR monitor independant of the built in one on the machine? How old are you?

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

What is your resting heart rate? Have you had an ecg before?

4. GlassUser

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (8900b/MR2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

i'm 30 years old. never had an ecg. using the monitor in the machines, but they're always consistent. not sure of my resting rate, I guess about 80.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

For someone who does a lot of endurance work, 80 is very high. It may be worth it to go see your doctor. As 80 is pretty much within normal range he may blow you off but I'd say something isn't 100% normal, though it may not be harmful.

A stress test isn't a bad idea for anybody imo. Anybody who does endurance work on a regular basis usualy has a heart rate less that 60.

6. trancezj

trancezj New Member

Two things right off the bat.

1. Those things are in accurate as fuck.
    2. are you sitting at the computer? take a few seconds and check it.

/sarcasm.

I used to have a fairly high heart rate, but since I've been doing regular cardio it's has come way down. My resting HR is 50ish which is technically low. But I think you have to do more sprint type of stuff. For example, just jogging really wouldn't help a ton. You'd need to do something a long the lines of sprints.

7. GlassUser

I'm still overweight though.

8. GlassUser

No, I was driving at the time. I am now. I'm at about 75-80.

9. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

do it when you wake up.

10. GlassUser

yeah, I'll have to get a body monitor

11. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

It is probably nothing but get a physical and mention it!

12. trancezj

trancezj New Member

dot

it's a pain though, all a doctor is gunna do is tell him to have an echo. That's $$$ too. I don't think his insurance is top notch right now either. But your ticker is kinda important.

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Thank you dr.read-it-off-the-cardio-machine-sticker

14. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

220 - Age = max heart rate

15. poostik

poostik member

and you're 'supposed to' be at 75% of your max heart rate . . . (for cardio)

But, when i do cardio, I'm almost at 100%, consistently for 1/2 hour. Is this bad?

Kind of related to this thread, but it's something I've been wondering. If I did cardio at the "recommended" heartrate, I'd feel like I wasn't doing anything.

16. Cicada

Cicada OT Supporter

that sounds bad. you're probably going to /youself.

i think my max is about 185/190 and im normally around 160-170ish when im doing the P90x cardio stuff.

kind of how i feel; at 160-170 that's about 90% of max heart rate, but that's when i actually start sweating and breathing. anything below like 155, and i feel like it's not doing anything :dunno: if i run (i hate running) and push myself to where im exhausted, i start breathign hard and heaving/gagging, and im pretty sure that's when im at max HR -- i cant imagine if you're at 100% or near it for 1/2 hr at a time. do you puke, dude?

17. poostik

poostik member

According to the old:

75% of 220 - age

My max is 184 and my recommended (according to that popular forumula) for cardio is 138. At the end of a 30 minute run @ 7mph (8:30/mile pace) on treadmill or road run, I'm anywhere from 170-180.

I've been doing this 2-3 times a week, for a year and a half. I haven't ended myself yet . . . I honestly don't know how bad it is for me. I just kind of run at a speed where I cross into the uncomfortable range. If I'm not uncomfortable, I feel like I'm not doing anything.

Input from more peeps with some edumucation on the subject is appreciated.

18. GlassUser

Try zero. I'm at a new job and waiting for the insurance to kick in. Go me.

19. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

i read through a good article on fatloss in a Muscle and Fitness issue, and they said between 70-80% of your max heart rate is an optimal range for maximizing fat burning. and probably around 30-40 mins. They also claimed that the treadmill is the best machine for fat burning.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  20. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

Muscle and Fitness April 2007

pg. 162

Cardio Know-How
    If your're gonna do cardio, you want to make it worth your while. Keep these nine important tips in mind to maximize the amount of fat you burn (and the amount of muscle mass you maintain) during your sessions.

"Do a bare minimum of 30 minutes of cardio at least three times per week.

If a single, continuous session of cardio seems too boring, break it up into shorter segments.

Do cardio either first thing in the morning or immediately after weightlifting.

If that isn't possible, do it when you can -- that's much better than not doing it at all.

The best cardio machine for fat-burning appears to be the good ol' treadmill.

The best form of cardio for mantaining or enhancing leg mass and strength appears to be the stationary bike

Working out at 70%-80% of your MHR burns the most amount of fat during the workout.

Invterval training keeps your resting metabolism elevated higher postworkout and may lead to greater overall decreases in bodyfat over time.

Take in 10-20 grams of protein or 3-6 grams of amino acids before cardio to preserve muscle.

Supplements such as caffeine, carnitine and HCA can help you burn more fat during cardio workouts."

21. Kenji Wing

Kenji Wing UK Basketball > *.*

First of all if your resting heart rate is at 80 it just sounds like you aren't in very good cardiovascular shape. The stroke volume of your heart is still pretty low at that level to produce the adequate amount of bloodflow needed in your body. One of the most important things to remember about long distance training is that you want to be running at a pace where you aren't burning your glycogen stores and you are using fat oxidation for calories. In other words find that pace that is comfortable for you and hit it for your race.

Training in general will increase the stroke volume of your heart and decrease your resting heart rate allowing you a more maximum output in your "zone".

22. GlassUser

So basically I want to do my training at a rate that I feel I can keep up for several hours, right?

23. Kenji Wing

Kenji Wing UK Basketball > *.*

Your training should vary but your race pace should be one you can keep for a long time. Even interval and sprint training will increase your strength and still help you in a long race.

24. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

:rofl:

25. GlassUser

Well I'm doing mostly endurance training (1-6 hour biking or canoeing sessions) with intervals mixed in when I don't have time otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.