Lets take a moment and discuss Shadow of the Colossus *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Boomdart, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Awesome game, to be sure.

I never read the instruction manual, but does anyone have any thoughts on the story behind the hero? It's such a strange game in that regard.

You're just put into a world and the first thing you kill is a fucking huge ass titan. This guy is brave as fuck, did he know what he was getting into when he came to the land? What kind of experience does he have before? Is he tied to the royal people that show up in the end to stop him in any way? Is he part of the royal family? Is he just some street rat that wanted to resurrect his street rat female friend, going into restricted areas to do so? Did he know he was going to turn into a demon thing at the end (by the way that was such a fucking weird, cool, and unexpected turn of events)?

I liked the game, but I get pissed off at it too easily. A friend of mine has been playing it like crazy though, she's trying to get the Queen Sword and white horse and is having problems on just one or two of the titans. Oh, and she's on the hardest of the difficulties in the time trials now.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Im the only person I know who didnt like that game

3. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

No I know a few others who didn't like it, however you are part of an extreme minority :)

4. Combine

Combine OT Supporter

I always thought he was being brave and fighting the monsters for the sole reason of the girl, he was obviously in love with her.

guy was pretty wipped

5. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I'm in the middle really.

I don't dislike it, but I don't really like it enough to attempt to beat it. I only got into it because the girl that I mentioned earlier just likes to play it at my house because she doesn't have a plasma tv, all she has is an extremely blurry as fuck 32" thing :o

I'd have to say it's a lot funner to watch her play it than it is to play the game myself :hs:

6. Persona

Persona Eternal Punishment OT Supporter

good game with some epic music

7. Combine

Combine OT Supporter

the last cutscene is awesome

8. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Indeed. I love the how the ending was, trying to escape from being drawn into the darkness is almost indescribably awesome on many levels :o

edit: I watched my friend beat it, i didn't beat it myself.

9. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

nah. i tried it for a couple hours and it wasn't my cup of tea either. big bland empty silent world, clunky controls, "laggy" gameplay... i don't understand why OT sackrides this game so hard. maybe if i played it back in PS2 days i'd appreciate it more.

10. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

Loved it

11. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

From what I gathered about the game, Wander (the main guy) is just an average guy in his tribe where him and his lover live, and the people at the end where the priests/shamen at his village and they knew the secret of the collosi and wanted to stop him before it was too late.

There whole premise of the game is to be an artistic expression of love, isolation, companionship, and even guilt. There was no other reason for Wander to go into the sacred land but to save his loved one. I thought it was beautifully crafted and is a rare video game experience.

12. 1house3kids0vette

1house3kids0vette Member

Just got it for my son for his birthday and was watching hime play it today. The scale of the first colossus was stunning. Cool background and scenery. I am looking forward to playing it myself.

13. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

The ambiguity of the story is done on purpose. For all we know it could be his sister on the platform and you get pretty much all of the backstory in the fin cutscene. So yeah, he was just a normal guy who had his loved one taken from him by the village (they mention she was sacrificed right?) and in an act of desperation steals the holy sword and leaves for the sacred land befause he hears anything is possible there. I don't think he knew he was going to turn into a colossus but as he said in the beginning he didn't care the cost, he just wanted to give the girl another chance.

Played this for the first time a few months ago and it still had a big effect on me. Can't wait for Last Guardian.

14. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

[y]jqd9GiaJUos[/y]

:rofl:

15. BiscuitsNgroovy

BiscuitsNgroovy OT Supporter

such a great game, last battle was so epic.

16. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong OT Supporter

nono me 2

17. eXtraVert3d

eXtraVert3d Pop this, bitch!

Like others have said, the importance lies in everything the game does not tell you. Like a poem, its beauty comes from the ideas and emotions displayed, which amount to much more than the sum of its words.

Yes, I have a giant boner for this game, and The Last Guardian has me excited beyond anything else on the horizon.

18. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

I just know they're going to kill that fuckin bird thing the moment i get attached to it :hs:

19. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

That's a very interesting way to explain the game. Good choice of words :cool:

20. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

I fucking love this game. Like the others said, its vague on purpose, take from it whatever you want. I've never seen a game with such an emotional impact, especially considering how minimalist the whole experience is.

21. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

I cried like a bitch when Agro died... :wtc:

22. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

My favorite game ever.

I still have a poster from when it came out :rofl:

23. poin

poin OT Supporter

You may want to go check out Killzone 2 or MW2 instead :rofl:

24. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Werd, the hugely difficult progression to the end and sheer size of what you're fighting just makes the ending hit you that much harder. You go through all sorts of hardships fighting these things for a very climactic ending. Like pieces of a puzzle, it makes so much sense when seen as a whole rather than bits and pieces at a time.

It's hard to not feel at least a little bit bad for the horse when you have to drop him :hs:

25. crux

crux sup

the ending :bowrofl: