Lets say a motor wasn't properly "broken-in"

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by portajesus, Sep 24, 2007.

1. portajesus

portajesus New Member

What would be the tell-tale signs of a motor that was used and abused in its early stages? (full throttle most the time, maxed out speed, ect ect <300 miles) Also, would there be any way to "repair" damages/performance losses that could have occured?

2. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

You want a motor that was flogged hard early on. This is the best way to break in a motor. Babying a motor for the first thousand miles is a myth and it's totally wrong. Most new cars/bikes are whooped on before they hit the sales floor so you usually don't have to worry about it.

If the vehicle wasn't broken in properly from the start then it's too late. While you probably won't notice a significant difference in performance for some time, a rebuild is the only solution when you do.

3. portajesus

portajesus New Member

[This is on a 50cc scooter, just to clarify :mamoru:]

I always thought you weren't supposed to gun it for the first however-many miles :hsugh:, but I don't really know much. I only ask this cause my scooter was used as a rental scooter by a company at the beach, so obviously the tourists pushed it to the max. I've been looking at actually upgrading the motor to a 70cc two-stroke (just.. "forgetting" to get tags :hsugh:) since i'd need that extra little boost for the city.. but I thought maybe if I rebuilt the one now, it'd give it a little better performance..?

4. Kenny Powers

Despite what you've heard, whether it's 50cc or 5000cc the best way to break it in is to seat the rings with lead foot throttle control.

A rebuild isn't worth your time at this point, you won't notice any difference even if your scooter wasn't broken in right.

5. Corky

Corky I lent Jesus $20

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

most vehicles when they come off the assembly line are tested and when they are tested, it's not slow and cautious. They are rolled onto dynos and run up quickly to check hp, shifting etc. or they are taken out onto a test track and run around to check things out.
    So take manufacturer's recommendations with a grain of salt, the factory workers don't follow it. :)

7. Kenny Powers

Be careful going by what local mechanics tell you. A lot of times they don't "know" what they're talking about when it comes to things like this because most mechanics have no real training in high performance.

Most of the time you don't have to worry about breaking it in hard, because by the time the vehicle gets to you it's been taken to the limits by everyone responsible for it.

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

rule number one...cover your ass

liability always comes first.

9. Kenny Powers

New vehicles are under warranty, you really think they're going to tell you to go beat the shit out of your new car?

Proper break in might net you a couple extra hp, but you really won't see the difference until the motor has aged quite a bit -- when most vehicles aren't under warranty anymore anyway. That way the manufacturer doesn't have to pay for rebuilds on cars that were broken in easy.

10. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Just take the time to break in your motors over the recommended mileage. If you bought it new, what does it hurt to baby it for 1000 miles? Forget all these shadetree mechanics. I had a new car, babied it for the first 1000 miles, has never given me any engine trouble whatsoever.

If you're buying new, you're taking a huge hit, so protect your investment. And the break in period applies to all the stuff on the bike, not just the motor. We're talking suspension pieces, tires, chain, and other shit that can break.

11. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

you wont notice

12. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

according to some people, the engine will be better off being beat on.

and as long as you're careful, you can easily be dragging knee within 5 miles on fresh tires... look at racers.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That article is clearly written by someone who knows what they're talking about. I've never subscribed to the "beat it into submission" approach with new engines, but this guy explains why it works, and I greatly respect that.

14. bobomb

bobomb no torque, no care OT Supporter

breaking in vehicles isnt just about the engine...... take into account the tires..... the brakes..... suspension.... everything. Not to mention the fact that 9 out of 10 times the rider isnt familiar with the bike for the first few hundred miles. So like someone mentioned before, it really is all about liability.

As far as the engine is concerned, these days you could bounce of the rev limiter or let it idle all day, it wont make a fucking piss of a difference.

15. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Race tires (even DOT's) are totally different from street tires. Not really a great comparison.

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I've watched some EX250 racing, where a lot of the guys were certainly on STREET tires... Dunlop GT501s, not even sticky street tires (but the best that's available for the stock wheels). They give em a few, maybe even several, laps to warm up when they're new but they don't really treat them any differently than when they're using tires they've used before.

17. DamonS

DamonS Flyin' High Again

In our spare time, my 5 year old and I race ATV's.. See AV..

I've rebuilt his bike a few times (70cc 2 stroke) because he's pulling nearly 14-16,000 rpm's constantly with it.. these bikes eat through motors. His 70 is highly modified.. pulls about 55mph through the traps (stock is about 25mph).. Doesn't seem fast until you think about the fact he's 5 and that it's a 4 wheeler on dirt.. :big grin: The motor of choice for us is the Yamaha Jog 70

Anyhow, I'll tell you the same thing you've already heard... It really only takes an hour to seat the rings and then honking on it until she dies... Most likely if its got higher mileage on it, it'll need a top end.. The motor won't feel peppy.. A simple compression test will give you a good idea about the condition of the motor.. Ask the seller if he'll provide you the numbers.. You should expect about 100-140 on the dial and she's good.. A bad motor, will render a 90.. a dead motor will render a 40 (you need more than 40 to pull the fuel in).

A top end on those 2 strokes are around 100 dollars and stupid simple to replace..

Just freshening it up, will not increase your speed because they are limited from the get go.. In the clutching, in the intake and in the exhaust all have limiters in them to keep you from going too fast.

If you want more info, PM me, I'll be glad to help you out with as much advice as I can, I don't come to this part of the forum but I'll check from time to time.. PM's are better.

Edit: My gearing and your gearing (sprockets and transmission) are slightly different, so my speed numbers won't match yours..

18. Aussie

Aussie New Member

Prior to picking up my brother's brand new Porsche 911, salesman told him to flog it to the max after leaving the show room floor as long after the engine is fully warmed up and is in operating temperature. So far three years today, its still very strong and no failures.

19. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

20. Branislav

Branislav orly?

let me answer your question:

you broke it in better then babying it. good thing you hammered on it pretty good to seat those rings!

i'm a certified goped mechanic and been working on race custom personal shit for so long, the shop i worked at closed down though. but i know my shit.

GSXR ftmfw.

21. vile1

vile1 New Member

This man is a genius and I subscribe to all his teachings. For realz

22. Aussie

Aussie New Member

Myth? Its not a myth. Usually,most vehicle manufacturers push engine hard for shortest possible and allocated time before leaving factory. So that they can keep up with the production required.

To seat piston rings against cylinder wall require at least 40 miles of hard driving after leaving the show room floor

I had it done on my Mazda 3, suzuki GSR600 and 1000 sportbikes and my sisters BMW X5.

23. Micheal Jackson

Micheal Jackson New Member

The best way to break in an engine is to run it through all the RPM ranges to seat the ring properly. also try and use engine braking.

24. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

if its a bike its been improperly broken in they're all beating to shit if your buying it used

25. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

good article.. i'm going to use this method on my new R6 and see how it works out. theres a lot of helpful info in there.... i asked the guy at the dealership when the first oil change should be... he said 300 - 500 miles.. this article says 20!!