A&P Lets get invvolved. v.Help-Portrait

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Oct 23, 2009.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Help-Portrait.com

check it out, it a great idea, im planning on having a couple sessions here in Vegas. But im willing to also travel to LA to help the cause. What does everyone think.

Watch the video.
    [y]6Ar8IxUsxR8[/y]

2. pawis

pawis werd em up

that is pretty cool. details on your vegas sessions?(how are you gonna promote it? table outside of grocery stores in less fortunate neighborhoods passing out flyers sorta thing?) lemme know if i can be of any help.

3. alexromo

alexromo New Member

I want to do this also, I have run into a lot of people who always tell me "no I dont have the money" but I say that Im doing it for free.. they get this confused look and then say "but i dont have the time"

been trying to shoot pics of my cousin's newborn and shes dodging me as if i was a debt collector lol

4. johan

johan Active Member

well, there is a third possibility, just so's you know... :dunno:

5. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

They're afraid that if they have their pictures taken it will steal their souls?

6. alexromo

alexromo New Member

if you can teach me how to buy something without having liquid currency please let me know!!!!!!

7. turbodude

i am definitely going to make some flyers, with a little blurb in it about the project. Whether or not i will post up and hand them out at grocery stores is a whole other animal. im trying to coordinate a plane as well as some MUAs, and some hair folk that will be willign to help.

8. pawis

pawis werd em up

ah, i was just trying to paint a mental picture of how this would be done. really getting with less fortunate people vs. middle class trying to save a buck here or there.

but yea, lemme know if you need help with anything(i could probably get those flyers printed at work).

9. alexromo

alexromo New Member

Al, if you decide to come down to LA let me know man

10. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Just out of curiosity...

How does giving pictures to these people help them?

Im all about helping people..Im just wondering how this actually does.

11. turbodude

Well it gives people a chance to get dolled up or step out of their lives for one day, and get a picture of it. It will make them feel good about themselves to get a professional photo done, with full editing, hair, and makeup. Or maybe a family portrait for people that cant afford it. Or maybe for a youth sports team that will never get a chance to have pro action photos taken at their games Or maybe just someone that has low self esteem and may not be conventionally beautiful but as a pro you can make them feel better and show them how it feels to be in the spotlight.

Its about giving people the personal attention that they may never get a chance in their lives. And giving them a print of it, so they can have it forever.

12. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Yeah..I suppose I get it. I just wont debate it here. I dont want to take any more away from it and a good cause is a good cause.

Be sure to post up some stuff after you do it. And you shoudl take pictures of the whole day too! Like finding people, setting up, shooting, etc.

13. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I think this is a great idea. I have frequently thught of doing soemthing quite like this but it was pictures with santa around the holidays for families with children who dont have the means to pay 20 bucks for 4 wallets.

Adam - I see your point of how does something like really impact the life of a person in need to give them a picture. But I look at it more as people in a community coming together and working together without wandering how they are being paid, just creating a sense of community and giving back. Small steps man, small steps

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I missed doing this in Jan 2009. I had just joined the Cleveland Photographic Society. This would have been some great portrait shooting experience. Here in Cleveland, they did the photography with the Homeless Stand Down event.

More info about the Homeless Stand Down event:
    http://www.interactcleveland.org/content/category/3/44/83/

As I understood it, the photography club attended the event and at first people didn't want their picture, but they said after about 10 or so, people started getting their prints back and showing others and after that, they had a line for the entire day. Word was it was pretty emotional too. Many people hadn't had photos of their families before. They hadn't seen themselves so cleaned up and put together before. The photo is a record of a day that changed their life.

I'm hoping they have another one and hoping the club gets invited back. I would like to volunteer...