Let's examine how I can improve here...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jcgodfrey, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

I'm just wanting some input and advice on my workouts, and also some information on my diet.

I'm currently 6'2'', 205lbs., at about 10% body fat. I'm pretty lean overall...and I am looking to get bigger...do a little bit of bulking up. My current workout routine is 5 days a week lifting. I'd also like to incorporate some running/cardio in also (I have done triathlons before so I enjoy the cardio stuff too). Is it possible for me to bulk up still doing cardio?

Anyhow, what should my diet look like if I'm trying to gain weight? I don't really know how much I need to eat cal. wise per day.

What would be a good weight for me being 6'2''? I don't want to be HUGE, just bigger than I am. I'd say right now my strengths are shoulders (wide shoulders) and legs...I was told by a trainer my lower body is more developed than my upper (big calves and thighs...).

Anyhow, my training goes as follows:

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Legs
    Wednesday - Back
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - Tris/bis

Sorry I have no pictures so you everyone can't see for themselves what I need the most improvement on. Bench max is probably 280, shoulder press 90lb db's x 10, legs are pretty strong although I do more of the machines (hack squat etc.) versus the typical barbell squat.

Any input on diet or routine changes I may need? I am particularly interested in the dieting aspect as I already have an idea of what I need to do lifting-wise.

Thanks everyone...maybe I can post some pics here soon...

2. remike

remike the second coming

You should probably post what actual exercises you do instead of just whih muscle groups you work.

3. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

True...good point...I just thought the post was getting a little long

Chest

• Flat bench (warm up usually 135x15) then 185x12, 195x10, 205x 6 or 8, then finish with 225x5 or so. If I go DB's then again I start w/warmup set, then go 80x12, 85 or 90 x 10, 95x 6 or 8, 100x6 (depends on how good I feel). Sometimes I go up to 105's.
    • Incline Typically kind of the same routine as Flat, maybe one fewer set. Typically would only get up to 205 on Incline (not as strong on incline as flat)
    • Flys on machine - 3x10
    • Cable Crossovers - Again, typically 3x10 on this as well
    • Sometimes some dips for the chest, or some weighted pushups
    Legs

• Leg Extensions - Typically about four sets of these (not including warmup). This is done until I am at a heavy set of 5-6.
    • Leg Curls - Typically four sets again, but not quite as heavy.
    • Calf raises - Standing raise and the Donkey calf machine (seated at a 45 degree angle). Three sets on each, rotating between to really burn them
    • Squats - Nearly all done on machines. Typically do 2 squat exersizes per workout, and work to very heavy.
    Back

• Lat Pulldowns
    • The one where you sit and pull the bar toward you? (back and bis)
    • Pullups (wide grip)
    • One arm raises (like your standing over and starting a lawnmower haha)
    Shoulders

• Shoulder Press (machine) - Start with warmup, go one plate x 12, 2 plates each side x 10, three plates x 6-8 (that is very tough). If using DB's, I start with warmup then work same reps with weights ranging from 65-95lbs.
    • Military Press in front on Smith Machine - Typically only 135-145lbs on, 3x10. After shoulder press this is tough.
    • Front Raises Superset with Lateral Raises on machine - killer :)
    • Get the tricept rope and do a workout where I lean back a little and pull the rope back towards my face, squeezing and working the back of the shoulder...
    Bi's / Tri's

• Preacher Curls on Machine - Start with one plate to warmup, go up to 2 plates + 25lb for as many reps as possible.
    • Curls where I hang over the preacher curls mat backwards and let my arms hang, and I curl the bar while trying to avoid using shoulders. 3x10 with 60lb?? bar.
    • Heavy Barbell standing curls 3x10 or until failure (usually third set I do not reach 10reps)
    • DB curls/hammer curls 3x10
    • V-Bar pushdown for tris 3x10
    • Rope pushdown
    • Dips
    • Skull Crushers/18's (do six reps of varying tri exersizes) starting with 80lb bar and going to 100lb. Very tough. Try to do 2 sets with 100lb.
    That is kind of it...there might be some variation here and there but that is the jist of the workouts I do :) Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot cuz I know there is lots I don't know and want to learn...

4. jcgodfrey

jcgodfrey New Member

Kotu - Thanks for that link...that looks neat...will give it a try

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.