MMA Let's discuss technique

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Now that I've been training in Brazilian for a couple months after about a year of Minami-ryu Ju Jitsu, I've pretty much had to go back to square one.

Well, maybe not square one, but I definitely am way behind the other guys who have a year of Brazilian on me.

Anyway, I read Eddie Bravo's stuff on the "Lockdown" in half guard, and I've been working on it a lot lately. Tonight, I was effective in keeping one of our two stripe whitebelts in it and keeping him from improving position, but I never felt like I could do anything to improve my position. It eventually became an attrition game and I'd finally reverse him when he went out of his way to try to trap an arm or something.

Is there something from that position you can do that's more effective? I've seen a couple reversals from half guard, but I can't seem to set them up effectively.

Oh, and Tim, I landed another helicopter armbar tonight. :fawk:

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

3. Exiled

Exiled New Member

You can grab his other foot, take his base and roll him on his butt.. or work on getting full guard by spreading him out... there's a calf crank from there, ways to get his back from there..

keep grapplin

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

5. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

I'd stick to basic positions, postures and escapes before I did anything "eddie Bravo".

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I've been grappling over a year.

I'm short, and have correspondingly short legs. I can't close full guard on most people I roll with. I started playing with the lockdown thing and it's effective 'for me'.

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

8. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

open guard

9. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I work that and butterfly a lot as well. In open I don't feel like I have enough control of my opponent. With butterfly, I feel like I can keep control of his posture better.

10. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

I feel you.

I only gave you my opinion because when I started messing around with rubber guard my private instructor mentioned that I had a lot more to work on and should focus my attention to perfecting the strong positions. I still use rubber guard and fuck around but just don't use it as a primary move.

Rock on tho.

11. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

It's not my primary thing. I do a lot more from butterfly. For some reason, short legs and flexible hips makes butterfly annoying as fuck for my opponents.

We did a half guard sweep a couple weeks ago where you'd pull your opponent down, bump him so he'd post a leg, then hook it and sweep it. I couldn't get the pull down part well, so I started locking up the leg better and found I had better control. But once I pull him down and flatten him out, I can't get the sweep on the better opponents. The guys I can get the sweep on, I can also sweep a couple other ways.

12. toothpick

toothpick New Member

if you can do all you say u can already, you should just about be ready for your blue...

btw i dont play rubber guard at all. its good for pining them down, but you can just do a 'high guard' if you want to pin them close to you (eg have your legs around their lungs).

so far i know 2 sweeps which i use.
    2 passes which i use
    2 escapes from north south pending on the grips they use
    2 escapes from side control pending on how they are holding me
    2 escapes if they have your back.

that is really all you have to know. its not about the quantity of techniques you know, its about how well you can execute them. If you know one technique really well and you can do it in sparring and in comps that is ALOT better than knowing 5 or so different techniques that get the same result, but you cant always pull them off.

say Bullocks to the rubber guard and shit until later on and follow my motto.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007