GUN Let's discuss proper storage

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 3dfx!, Feb 26, 2010.

1. 3dfx!

3dfx! New Member

Specially in Florida with the high humidity. I have my firearms in a closet in each of their case. Is there anything else I should be doing? Dessicant or some humidifier even though the closet space isn't exactly sealed? :dunno:

2. Werm

Werm Guest

If they are in cases, I'll assume hard case with foam, it will help trap the moisture in, which is bad while also letting more in. It's like your guns are between two sponges but not that extreme of course.

You don't want a humidifier but rather a dehumidifier. Let the guns breath a bit also. What I would do is buy a gun safe, or locker if you can't afford a safe, and a dehumidifier or silica gel can.

3. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Any decent hard cases use polyethylene foam so sorry your wrong

Polyethylene Foam
    This is a closed cell foam (the cell walls are not interconnected, so the foam will not absorb water or moisture). The 3 most commonly used foam polyethylene's are: 1.5# polyethylene, 1.7# polyethylene, and 2.2# polyethylene. These are the lowest density polyethylene's and our standard color for them is black, though they are available in other colors and higher densities (up to 12# ). Polyethylene is very common for case inserts because it is rugged and has a very attractive appearance. All densities are also available in anti-stat formulations. These are closed cell foams.

5. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Problem is that the TS said "their case", so I'm assuming the factory box. Most of those use the cheapest foam available and would definitely hold moisture.

I don't keep any of my guns in a case unless it is also wrapped with something else to prohibit moisture collection (like a silicone gun sock).

6. 3dfx!

3dfx! New Member

Noted.

Right now I got my AR in a new case I just got for it (no foam).
    My 1911 is stored in the original case for now. I'll go ahead and get those socks posted here in the meantime.. maybe throw in some dessicant? :dunno:

7. SoonDubu

SoonDubu The most honest moment in a man's life is the five OT Supporter

:rofl:

wmd and it's locked threads have been entertaining but i feel stupider having read them

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

That's good to know.

9. Werm

Werm Guest

I wanted to touch on this so everyone knows what you're talking about.

Some decent cases do indeed contain ONLY polyethylene foam, some contain standard convoluted AND polyethylene foam, but most contain just standard convoluted foam.

Standard convoluted foam is the "egg shell" type stuff your average hard case has, not your $200-300+ cases lancer is speaking about. Even pelican has mixed cases with both in it.

Polyethylene can be made in convoluted shaped, but usually isn't at least form what I've seen in your average gun case. And the more expensive cases usually have a seal on them to keep moisture out on top of the foam it uses.