Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FrozenSTi, Sep 29, 2007.

1. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

Gotta work the night shift so a took a nap right after dinner, only to wake up to this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aww shit, I still have to go to work. Better slap on the winters real quick.

[​IMG]

Alright, that should keep me on the road for the next 8 months:x:

So sweet to finally have a garage. 36 years old, first time I ever owned a house with a garage.
    [​IMG]

Snow was deep on the way to work, drifting up pretty good. This is the best time of winter to have fun on the road. No ruts or sand/crushed rock. Gonna take the long way home this morning:bigthumb:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Damn, you live in Yellowknife? That's hardcore, man. I can't stand it being that cold.

Hope you have a block heater for that thing.

3. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

:mamoru:my favourite mod is my battery blanket

4. Roswell

Roswell OT Supporter

Snow already? I can't wait till it start falling over here.

5. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

ice road trucka

still got 2 more months till I have to slap my Dunlop winter sport M3s on my bimmah.

6. skurge

skurge New Member

ahh i cant wait to play in the snow again with the STi :)

7. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

heck ya man, this will be my first winter with any kind of awd vehical...can't wait to get the STi out in the fields around here.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try to remember that all-wheel-drive != invincibility field. Having four axles won't do jack shit when you need to slow down. Lots of people get in an AWD car and the acceleration makes them completely forget that they've always had all-wheel-braking, and that they can't stop any faster than they used to.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wtf, 4 axles? What do you drive? 99.9% of cars have 2 axles.

That's why you get 4x4 and use your gearing. :hsugh:

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

good luck with that I cant stand the cold

11. Virality

Virality New Member

4 axles?

AFAIK, STi's aren't semi's(and even they have 3 without a trailer iirc)

12. 2 front and 2 rear. Unless you are privy to some special knowledge? :hsugh:

Um... usually the problem is that your tires lose traction. Having different gearing isn't going to give you more traction under braking.

Do you even have any idea what you are talking about?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, if that special knowledge that I am privy to happens to be BASIC automotive repair.

An axle has a wheel at EACH end. A standard automobile has FOUR wheels, on TWO axles.

[​IMG]

Yes, that's why I have mud terrains on my GMC, and the Tundra has BFG AllTerrains. I know plenty enough about traction to know that you take the stock rubber and get that shit the fuck off and get some decent tires.

Yes, but apparantly you do not.

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

15. First off, the AXLE is the part that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

or in a subaru, something like this:
    [​IMG]

What you posted was a complete rear end. It is made up of a differential, bearings, axles (note the "s" there are TWO of them in there), a housing, brake lines, and backing plates. Just because people who don't know anything (like you and the idiot who posted directly below you) call it an "axle" doesn't mean that is really what it is.

In reference to your comment about your tires, you were the one who said that your lower 4x4 gearing will help you brake better. Nobody said anything about what type of tires you need. I was just pointing out that having lower gearing isn't going to give your tires more traction. Obviously you missed that point.

16. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

17. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic Active Member

nice i cant wait for snow

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, that is an Axle SHAFT. The axle is the entire piece that I posted. There are two SHAFTS inside of the axle, but only one axle per two wheels.

That is known as a HALF-SHAFT. The axle assembly would have two of those, along with a differential -- much like what I posted.

First of all, it is not axle(s). It's fucking axle SHAFTS. It's a difference... A BIG fucking difference. There are two SHAFTS -- but only one AXLE.

yes, I did post a complete rear-end. However, remove the braking components and you have the axle. It's still only ONE per two wheels.

Unfortunatly, you are the wrong individual. Just because you call a half-shaft an axle, does not make it correct. It's only HALF.

ah yes, the infamous backpedal.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

notice that the AXLE is singular, and the WHEELS are plural. Also note that they distinguish between FRONT and REAR axles -- not left or right.

Again, the front is a single axle. CV joints / Half shafts are exactly that... HALF.

Again, Axles are PAIRS of wheels.

20. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

again I say owned

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, lets ask Uncle Sam what he thinks???

22. Here, just in case you're having a hard time on your own...

"COMPLETE MOSER 12 BOLT Moser Engineering offers the best aftermarket 12 Bolt on the market. Our 12 Bolt housings are newly cast nodular iron housing units that are direct replacements for most leaf-spring, coil-spring, and torque arm General Motors OEM applications. The extremely durable housing units have giant caps utilizing half inch Allen bolts, and include perches or brackets. You have a choice of axles with pressed on ball bearings, or OEM style c-clip with c-clip retention. The units can be set up for anti-lock brakes and work with many OEM GM brake setups. Utilizing new housing ends adds to the simplicity and ease of installation, which is unparalleled in the industry. The complete package includes a Moser 12 Bolt housing, Custom Alloy Axles with ball bearings, studs and retainer plates. Also includes either a Moser full spool or a posi unit, Pro Street gears, 1350 series pinion yoke, chrome cover, and assembly. Brakes are not included. When ordering with a Moser full spool or a posi unit, you have the option of 30 spline axles or upgrade to our 33 spline axles, which carry a 10 year replacement warranty. However, if you are ordering the package with c-clip axles you can only order 30 spline axles. TWO-DAY TURNAROUND ON ALL ORDERS"

You see, every time Moser uses the word "axle" they are talking about the part in the picture I posted in my previous post. Note the part where they say "you have a choice of axles with pressed on ball bearings, or OEM style c-clip with c-clip retention." Again, we both know exactly what part they are referring to, and it's sure as hell not the entire assembly.

Maybe you know more about this than they do though.

23. Again, just because in Layman's terms "axle" means something other than what it is doesn't mean it's right. In the automotive industry, indeed the focus of our discussion, the term "axle" means a specific thing. I said it in my first post on this topic. Just because a bunch of people call a rear end assembly an "axle" doesn't make it an axle.

24. Oops, here's another one...

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

It seems they think that the whole assembly is called a "rear end." Of course this "rear end" they keep talking about comes with different options for "axles." That's weird, it means either they or you are wrong.