GUN Lessons learned: Go bag

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fatmoocow, Mar 3, 2007.

1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

So you get a call at 5:00 AM - Your mother calls, your dog has his leg caught in his cage and it's "really bad." She can't get him out.

What's the likelihood of this situation happening vs. having to defend yourself from an invading army of zombies? How likely is a crowbar, hacksaw, or fire extinguisher going to be needed in a real emergency over fishing line and an AK. Although this situation is way less sexy than most others we dream up, I think we're better off being more prepared to get someone or yourself out of something (which could be on fire) than we are for living in a tent in the forest.

So, with that in mind, going in the run-out-of-the-house-naked bag is crowbar, hacksaw blades, metal file (small crowbar), pliers, and small fire extinguisher.

Also one small note, keep your keys, wallet, cell, and charger in one consitent place (night stand).

Any other suggested tools or thoughts?

Oh, and my dog is fine, his leg is just a little swollen. Sifting through the garage half naked looking for tools is not fun though.

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

3. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

scalpel land a bone saw? :kdubbd:

Kidding, glad your dog is fine.

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i have a lot of gear(even beef jerky, and bolt cutters) in my car, because i work 25 miles(open highway) from home... and my grab and go stuff, is always in the same place.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't think you're going to want these all that often in a hurry and personally I wouldn't be putting those 10 pounds of metal in my bag. To me its more likely I'll want some food, alot of my important information on a usb drive, etc. I think of it more as if I woke up and there was a fire, what would I want to grab that I could live off of in a hotel room or trip away from the house for a couple days. I have special dietary requirements and I want to make sure I have some stuff that meets my needs in the bag. I have some personal ID and other files I consider important encrypted on a usb drive in my bag. I have a book, flash light and batteries, and handgun in it (might be staying in hotels for a while). There are also some basic convenience things like toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lens wash, ibuprofen, immodium, etc. I look at it more as what could you pick up and be gone for a couple days with. A crowbar isnt what I need for that.

6. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Bolt cutters wouldve fixed that in like 5 seconds

7. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Ya that's first on my lift for tomorrow. Not sure where to get them. I'll try TSC.

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I got a shitty pair from walmart
    It cut through project childsafe locks fine though