Lesson for tonight: make -j is a bad idea

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Several weeks ago, I was compiling Firefox and stumbled accross the magic that is make -j. The -j n flag tells make to run n processes at once, and if you leave n out, it runs as many as it can. Now, I compiled Firefox with make -j and it went along just fine - super ultra fast on my new Athlon64 X2 system. In my moment of happiness, I aliased make to make -j, so I wouldn't need to remember about this great trick in the future.

So tonight I go to compile Gnash, the GNU Flash replacement (which sucks, BTW) and I configure it and type make, expecting it to go along its merry way. Which it does, for a while. Then my computer completely hangs up, the console tells me it's killing processes because I have no memory left and I'm going :wtf:

After rebooting, I go to compile again, and sure enough, it slows right down again. So I kill it and try again while running top in another window. 320 processes :eek3: Kill the compile and it goes down to 140.

Turned it down to make -j 8 and all went well.

So, lesson: make -j really will run as many processes as it can. And my computer doesn't like 150 instances of g++ running at once.

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

:rofl: Not surprising :) It really shouldn't work without you specifying a limit, or it having an inbuilt one.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's nuts. Y'know, I almost like the idea of compiling all my programs on my own computer, just because I could be sure it would run correctly, but for now the convenience of Windows' bloated compatibility interface is just more convenient. Linux is about two years away from being user-friendly enough for me to dive into, and it's been there since about 1998. (shrug)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it won't change much... if it got to where you need it to be, most linux advocates would hate it. It's benefits are level of customization it offers -- and customization on this scale will always take away from convenience.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

distcc FTW :o

6. deusexaethera

That is quite true. If only it weren't so convenient to maintain the status quo, I would be more adventurous. It would be nice, at least, if a .NET framework existed for Linux; it would give me a reason to migrate all my old code to VS.NET, so I could run it on Linux without having to transcode it all to STL C++.

7. SLED

There is Mono if you are looking for a .NET like framework on Linux. Problem is, it is usually significantly behind MS.NET in functionality. I have built a few apps, just for myself, but nothing production yet.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I equate Mono to the old "chilisoft". Cool in principle, but horrible in execution.

nothing more than a novel toy.

9. deusexaethera

Hence the problem. If only someone could create a VB -> Java transcoder that actually works; I tried one a few years back, but it too failed miserably.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

transcoders will probably never work well.

Programming languages are quite different. Much how verbal languages are different. Word-for-word translations can get the basic point across, but each has nuances. The only proper way to switch languages would be to re-write it natively.

11. Penguin Man

Yeah, we were playing with it at school this past year. It's very cool.

On the Linux topic, I had a chance to attend a Q&A session with Ken Thompson this morning. He feels that Linux has moved too far towards being a Windows replacement, at the cost of elegance in the kernel. In his experience, the Linux kernel has become such a kludge that it is now impossible to remove a feature you don't want without breaking everything else. Very interesting perspective.

12. deusexaethera

Indeed. That's why things like .NET exist in the first place; to serve as a common basis for multiple high-level languages. I just really don't want to bother with adapting my VB6 code to .NET just so I could try to run it on a linux OS with a .Nockoff.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

They need to institute a feature freeze, and just fix bugs/refactor for 6 months or something. They should do this right after they bring Reiser4 into the main line.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So Gentoo docs indicate that make -jX is the most efficient, where X is the number of processors on your system... so, I've got a Core Duo so I'm thinking two is the right number but... I'm running this through Parallels VM stuff. So the question is: what make -jX is most efficient if you're using Core Duo's virtualization optimizations? 1 or 2?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

at least 2. I know with a HT CPU you go with 2.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I went with 2.

17. SLED

2 fo' shizzle on a Core Duo... assuming parallels exposes both procs. what does 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' show you?

18. Penguin Man

I find 8 works just fine on my X2 3800+.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

processor 0
    vendor_is GenuineIntel
    cpu_family 6
    model 6
    model name Celeron-A
    stepping 5
    cpu MHz 45667.336
    cache size 2048 MB
    fpu yes
    fpu_exception yes
    cpuid level 2
    wp yes
    bogomips 2387.86

Some other info, but that is most of it.

20. SLED

yea, so after installing Parallels last night, I found the same thing. Looks like they only expose 1 virtual processor instead of two.

EDIT: Wait, celeron????

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Is a Core Duo a celeron type?

22. SLED

fuck no

23. deusexaethera

uh...Core Duos don't have two virtual cores, they have two actual cores. The cores don't pretend to be separate, as is the case with a P4 w/HyperThreading. They actually are separate, they cannot be recombined like HT's virtual cores, they just share the same L1 cache. So the answer is, run "make -J2".

24. SLED

yes, thanks for the breaking news. If you actually READ the thread then you would know that he is running a virtual pc emulator called Parallels on his MBP and he has installed gentoo in an instance of this software. Gentoo is reporting 1 virtual processor.

25. deusexaethera

I assume you mean this:

Obviously I misunderstood what Peyomp said. I didn't know that Parallels was a virtual machine framework for *nix; knowing that would have helped my comprehension, but what I got wrapped around the axle on was the part about "Core Duo's virtualization options" -- note that it didn't say "Parallels' virtualization options" -- hence my reply that Core Duo has multiple real cores instead of virtual ones like the HT Pentiums that Jolly referred to at one point. My bad.