Leprosy paint

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by WS6Formula350, May 27, 2004.

1. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

The hood and roof on my Formula are discolored and noticebly lighter than the rest of the car in direct sunlight. It almost looks as if they are sunburned... it's a MAACO paint job :rolleyes: It's all that my dad could afford at the time he got it repainted, so it's what I have to work with :dunno: I don't have a digicam, otherwise I'd take a picture of it... There's also some kind of odd spotting all over the hood, also discolored.

I've tried Meguiar's #7 glaze, Meguiar's gold class wax, Zymol cleaner wax... Also tried some Turtle Wax Red Wax. There's a small spot on the hood near the cowl that I used this Turtle Wax polish on that seemingly made the spots go away, but it also swirled the paint some. Probably because I didn't apply it right :o

So in short:
    1) It's sun faded, kind of "sun burned" I guess
    2) It's got these slightly visible spots all over it as well
    3) ???? Help ????

Is there anything I can buy at AutoZone or Wal-Mart to help my poor son of a bitch car out? The hood and roof will look good for about a week and a half after I wax them, but I live at an apartment complex so it sits outside all the time-- and the faded, spotted look comes back in about two weeks time. Is there any hope short of a new paint job? Cause that's a ways off... I need a new rear end first. :hs:

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

see if there is a decent auto parts store and get some clay bar some dacp some #9 swirl remover and some hy tech cleaner wax then follow the directions in the sticky but most likely your pain is wasted maco some times dosent seel off old paint it could be that bleeding throgh that and they use teh cheapest paint on the market so its probly stained and not going to come out

pictures would help as well

3. WS6Formula350

I don't have access to a digi cam, but I'll try and use my friends if I've got enough daylight today. I've been reading through threads on here, and Don_Rumsfeld's T-bird problem looks extremely similar to the paint on my decklid, hood and roof-- which made me start thinking that the Meguiar's #83 and #80 would possibly get the paint back decent looking. Followed by some NXT wax might get a decent shine back in it? Or maybe the #16 paste wax?

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

From what it sounds is there is a layer of oxidised paint plus some staing on your car you need to remove that layer a wax genraly wont do that 83 is dacp right? i forget my numbers but i have used the method i described numors times on my crappy s10 paint to bring it back

5. WS6Formula350

Yeah, #83 is the DACP and #80 is the Speed Glaze that Scottwax made another thread about, said it was an easier use than the swirl remover... Think the #83, #80 and then NXT or the #16 paste would do me well? Claybar first though.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you dont have to clay bar if your paint is as oxodised as mine it realy wont do any good execpt ruin the clay bar either wax will work well once you get the surface back to how it suposed to be

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this pained was almost pink it was faded so bad i think i used #9 and s100 on it but dacp would have made my life much easier

8. WS6Formula350

Cool... thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and get the #80, #83 and either the NXT or the #16, whichever fits my fancy. The claybar won't do any good though?

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

In your case, the clay really isn't needed since your paint is all fucked up. I would use the #16, it's more durable than NXT.

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

What he said^ and worst coems to worse i paint cars i could talk you through it

11. WS6Formula350

Thanks for all the help guys... just for reference, I should use the DACP first, then the Speed Glaze? And of course top it off with the wax. The paint is pretty bad, so probalby two coats of the DACP?

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No, you'll only need one application of DAC/P. If that doesn't yield the results you want, you'll have to get something stronger or a repaint. Yes, you'll use the DAC/P before the #80.

13. WS6Formula350

Thanks for all the help, hopefully it'll work out :bigthumb:

Paint is a long ways off in the future :hs:

14. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Sounds to me like the clear coat does not have enough UV protection or is too thin to prevent the base coat from fading underneath. If that is the case, nothing short of a proper repaint will work.

BTW, by proper, I mean at least a factory level paint job. Even if you do the prep work, you are looking at nearly $2000, more if they do all the work.

15. WS6Formula350

That's a distinct possibility :sad2: It's a MAACO paintjob. The shop that we're looking at getting it done at quoted us around $3000. They use DuPont paint and their spray guy are DuPont certified, and they told me that the paint is guranteed for life :eek4: By that they meant if there's ever a flaw in the paint under the conditions set forth by them, DuPont is responsible for providing me a reputable body shop to repair the finish.

But that's not gonna happen for a while-- I was hoping some magic products could help the paint out and make it look better until then... we'll see.