GUN LEO's - What do you carry off duty?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Triad, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Triad

Triad I deficate locomotives.

I am looking for suggestions/feedback on what you ladies and gents carry when not on duty.

I want something in the 380 to .40 cal range.
    Deptartment uses the G22.

I was looking at a G27 but the shops around here are telling me theres a 4-6 month wait on getting one right now because of shortages. I like the idea of using my duty mags however.

I like shooting the XD40 4", was looking at the subcompact today and it felt pretty good in my hand.

I want to look into shooting the Beretta Tomcat but the gun feels almost too small in my hand.

I have heard good things about the Kahr's but I can't find any around here.

Anyway thats where I am right now. Any suggestions I should look into?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try the trigger on the xd before you buy. There is lots of slack for the follow-up shot. Didn't fell good to me. I'd say try to find a glock and have it shipped to a FFL for pickup.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

a lot of people like the bersa .380. look into J-frames, too

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Does your department have any regulations? Many are moving to the point where they don't allow anything under .38spl including no .380

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i don't know why... Granted I think for a fullsize duty weapon there's little reason not to go with something hotter, such as .40S&W or .45ACP... But in a small concealment/backup weapon, there are some great options in 9mm.

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

i have the xd 3" in 9mm. it is indeed very small [subcompact] but feels great and is easy to control.

now i know what you're thinking: no real man would wield anything less than a .45ACP into battle...

I say, plenty of people have gotten a first class ticket to the coroner's table due to someones 9mm.

oh, and I am no leo.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

8. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

There's something to be said about having a similar setup to your duty gun. Perhaps look into just carrying the G22, maybe a G23, maybe a g27.

I like to carry as much gun as I possibly can. It's also not a bad idea to get something small and light like a SW jframe. With the jframe, you could double it as a backup gun is your dept allows it.

As pointed out, Glocks are easy to come by. I try to keep my business local, but if they don't have whatr I need right now, or are not in the ball park price I go elsewhere.

9. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

why would you carry something so small? if you're off duty LEO u don't really have to worry too much about it printing. get something worth a damn. I can carry my Sig 229R very well and i only paid $500 for it.

10. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

11. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you call Glock, ask for LE sales. They can give you a local Glock LE dealer. You pay $398 for a base 9/40/257 Glock, 3 mags, about $50 more night sights with ID, sometimes there's a week or two wait if they have to order direct from Glock.

Honestly, I think the Kahr is a better step down for concealment. Even the shorter Glocks are the same thickness as the G22. Catch being that Kahrs seem to have more teething issues than the Glocks, have to shoot them a bunch to make sure they're reliable.

If you're a cop, anything you buy is a write off though, so order something off gunsamerica or gunbroker or something and if you're not happy with it, get rid of it. :dunno:

<---Btw, not a cop.

12. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

g30 not a cop

13. smartypants

smartypants New Member

True - there is no "shortage" of model 27's - mag swap ftw.

14. Triad

Sweet. I called and they gave me the number to a place about 30 miles away. Went to talk to them and they can order me the gun but have no guarentee when it will come in. I am going to go back tommorrow and put in an order for the Glock 27 with the Trijucon Night Sights

15. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

The gun shop here has every model of Glock in stock at the moment, and 5 or 6 doubles in OD green. They've got an OD G26 that I was drooling over today :o

16. Triad

I am going to go the through their LE program they have...appearently you get 3 mags.

I still sorta want to pick up a little 5 or 6 shot revolver.
    I am going to check out Gunbroker. I have never done an FFL transfer...is it hard to do?

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

No, find a local dealer who will accept the gun for you, just ask them if they will take a gun in from out of state for you. They will then give you a copy of their FFL license or request the address of the out of state party to mail the FFL copy directly to. Once the out of state party has the FFL in hand, they ship the gun to your dealer. You then go pick it up there and fill out the forms just as if you were buying any other gun.

Usually your dealer will charge a $10-25 fee for doing this, any more and you should look elsewhere. (You're paying them to fill out the paperwork, they don't incur any expenses for doing this).

Some may insist on charging you your state's tax also, but there is often confusion on what amount to tax. If paying tax at all, you should only be paying the tax on the transfer fee (the $10-25 from before), because that is the only service they are performing for you.

18. Gimik

Gimik New Member

both my brothers carry Glock 23s offduty.

19. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I carry a G22 on duty but because I hate the .40 cal I carry a G33 offduty on an ankle holster.

G33 is a subcompact in .357 sig and I heart it.

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

why do you hate .40 ??

21. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

If you are LEO can't they just ship the gun to you at work? I thought there was a clause for that.

22. Triad

You have a ton of information, you've been a huge help.

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

My older brother is SPD and carries the same weapon off duty. G22 with a G27 back up. So does my younger brother, whom is only active duty military. I pack a J frame in summer, but in the winter months pack my Kimber Series 1.