Leopard Famiry Packs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kamikaze, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

How exactly do these work? My boss and I both want to get leopard, can we split on a family pack, sell off the remaining 3 licences to other people and still keep our shit seperate? I don't want anyone else getting access to my .Mac account :dunno:

And as much as I'm tempted to download it, I'd rather support apple for making an OS that actually works.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

yeah i bought a family pack of iLife 08 and there were no serials or anything.

im just buying a single for leopard.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

4. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

there are no serials, if you want to do the right thing, buy the family pack, and share it.

5. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

so you can just buy the single one and install on as many computers as you want... (illegally of course, since it's technically only one license)

6. ady

ady New Member

That isn't how the licensing works.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Either way you are breaking the licensing agreement since a family pack is supposed to stay within the same household. So you might as well just buy the single license and share it if you are going to do that.

I'd really recommend just each of you buying your own copy. If everyone starts to pirate Apple software like they do MS software, eventually we'll be having to go through all the BS validation crap that MS is building into their software now.

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Why recommend that he pay less than he was going to? While he would be breaking the licensing agreement buying a family pack, that's better than just buying a single and doing the same thing lol.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

correct...but some people figure if they're going to break the law, why not go all out?

either way, they're not as anal as Microsoft so I don't see much problem with it.

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I guess I just didnt word it very well.

My point was he didnt want to do something wrong by sharing a single license copy of it so he was going to buy a family pack and do something wrong anyway.

Why worry about breaking the license on a single but not a family pack? If you're going to break it, what is the difference with which you do it with?

Its like saying, well, its not as big a deal to steal a $20k car as it is a $50k car. Whats the difference? Its stealing either way.

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Keep up that attitude and one day they may have to be just as anal as MS. Do you want that?

12. veonake

There definitely is a difference in stealing a honda vs. a ferrari, and the judicial system believes there to be a difference as well. MAYBE he doesn't understand what a family pack means, but I haven't seen him reply.

13. veonake

You think Apple doesn't care about pirating? Of course they care, but they don't want to devote the resources that MS does to stopping it nor do they want to make it a hassle for paying customers to use the software. It's not worth it to them when their market share is at its current state.

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

whoa whoa whoa, I didn't try to suggest that they don't care but considering microsoft has serials for each distribution, tracks them through their server, does the genuine windows copy check and so on. comparing that to the fact that apple really doesn't do anything similar prompted my response. chillax.