GUN LEO WMD'ers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thunderbear, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

..how long were your application forms?

:mad:

2. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

17 pages for the application itself, 5 pages handwritten autobiography and at least another dozen pages of misc. paperwork.

I'm not even in the academy yet.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Two pages

4. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

~25 pages x half a dozen depts.

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I'm pretty sure mine was a fucking book. List everywhere you've ever lived and worked, and everyone you've ever known, and everything you've ever done wrong. It sucked.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Did you graduate high school?
    Do you want a job?
    How about a gun?
    Great! You're hired!

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:werd: The application came in a manila envelope about an inch thick.

8. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Actually, I just dug out one of the application forms I kept and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. Only about 20 sheets thick. And 4 pages of references.

9. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I had a roughly 30 page background packet plus a 17 page polygraph booklet. The actual application was only a page though. We also have the written test, oral board, polygraph, and psych (takes 6 hours to do the written psych, its around 2000 monotonous questions).

10. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Going through this now :o

11. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

It's a LOT fucking more than that. Out here we have about 500 applicants for every 30 hired. There is a written test which fails out about 150 with a physical right after that pops another 50 or so. There is then an oral board interview, which is where you sit in a chair with nothing about 10 feet from a table with three uniformed officers (usually a Lt or Capt, a Sgt and a regular officer) sittting there with a tape recorded and packets in front of them. They take turns asking you questions (same for everyone) and writing your answers leaving a lot of silence. 100 usually fail this.

The 200 remaining people then wait for a few weeks before they are contacted by a background investigator. They must go for the interview with the polygraph book and background packet filled out. They go through every question with the investigator and have to explain every odd answer. Once that is done, they get setup for a polygraph. It is pretty much an interrogation that takes 2 hours. My department doesn't hold much weight in the actualy polygraph results, but uses it to try and get the person to admit to a lie. If you do, it is an automatic DQ for life with the department. After this, they get scheduled for a written psychological test. It is 6 hours long and sucks balls. About a week later you must go see the department psychologist who goes over every "questionable" answer on the written. That takes about an hour.

After that, you wait for about two months before you hear anything, but you must call your background investigator at least once a month to let them know you are still alive and well and haven't done anything stupid, been pulled over, etc. All of your background information ends up going to a final review board which is a lot of the executive staff. They boot about 165 of the remaining 200 for various reasons (admitted drug use, bad credit, bad grades in school, bad references, work history, driving record, lying to them, etc). The remaining 35 sit on a list for 2-3 months and wait for a call.

Once you get the call, they first send you to the department doctor for a full physical, at which around 5 people get DQ'd. After you pass that, they give you an academy report date and a packet with a list of shit to buy for the academy.

Once at the academy, 10 of those 30 will usually quit within a week. The rest usually make it through the academy. Of the 20 that make it through the academy, 5 or so will fail field training.

So contrary to popular belief, it is VERY difficult to get on with a police department and make it through your first year, and requires much more than a high school diploma. 500 applicants for 25 officers, and that is a relatively good ratio for a police department. Back east, I have heard they get over 2,000 applicants for 25 jobs. At my department though, once someone gets passed thier first 2 years, 75% stay for at least 20.

12. Thunderbear

40 pages doesn't sound all that bad, now...

Still the "Have you had sex with a corpse?" pages made me chuckle.

I'm treating the app like the Moment of Truth in boot camp, tell all, forget hiding anything. All the shit I've come home with from various jobs through the years makes me sound like a scumbag who pilfers his work environment, though :mamoru:

List your most serious offense here:

Uh... 47 in a 35, or that copy of Queen's Greatest Hits I downloaded?

Edit: I sure as motherfuck hope it's easier to get on where I'm going. Christ. If I do this paperwork for nothing, I just might become a felon. That said, ALET is 15 weeks and the follow on school I want is another 6 weeks. Then a year on field training. It's like I never finished going to school and I'm fucking 30 :rofl:

13. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I liked the question "Have you ever thought about committing a crime but not done it?" My mom thought it was a trick they I should put no. Fuck that, anyone who puts no to that is a god damned liar. Someone should put no though and when asked why they should say "well, every time I've thought of committing a crime, I have actually done it."

14. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

What department are you applying for, or what part of the country at least?

15. Thunderbear

Hoping to get on with the Alaska State Wildlife Trooper detachment.

Where is your Dept, that it's so goddamn hard to get into? That sounds kind of depressing.

16. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

That unfortunately is most departments. Mine is the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police. Our escapades can be found here:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/6526/cops-suspicious-activity-at-335-am#s-p1-st-i0

17. kellyclan

I was kidding, hombre. :o

I'm not in the angst-teen-cop hate crew, and I know all about the process.

18. kellyclan

Anything in AK is tough to get. The troopers practically want you to be a PhD. :mamoru:

One of your Asst Chiefs ripped me off on a patch trade way back. :hs:

19. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

That position doesn't exist. The closest thing we have are Deputy Chiefs. There are like 8 of them I think. If you are ever in Vegas stop into South Central Area Command on the Blvd by the Vegas sign. They like to do patch trades and always have an abundance to trade.

20. kellyclan

Deputy and Asst are usually interchangeable around here, so my bad. :dunno:

Got one but thanks for the tip. :cool:

21. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I don't even know why the term is used seeing as how we don't have a Chief. We have Sheriff, Undersheriff, 3 Assistant Sheriffs, a bunch of Deputy Chiefs, and the like 30 or 40 Captains.

22. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

thunder I'd think being prior military would give you somewhat of an advantage, and also help speed things along since there is already extensive record on you.

23. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

We give prior military 2 extra points in the testing process which can actually help a lot.

24. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Shoot, I filled out an application that was a standard County form, submitted that plus a resume and applicable certificates to the department, showed up for PT test/interview, where they had us do a basic Personal History Questionnaire--about 130 questions, multiple choice, as I recall, but some only applied to lateral transfers, ex-military (which I'm not), people with certain kinds of histories, all that.
    Then the PT and oral board (same day, they had us do the interview right after the PT test).
    After a couple weeks or so, they sent out letters to the applicant pool, listing their PT and interview scores and relative standings (I was 2/26 in the interview and about 12-15/26 in the PT. Damned splintery wall--my own fault for shitty technique, and damned dummy drag).
    Next up was actual backgrounds, and that was a bitch. Easily 30-40 pages asking for previous employment, residence, schooling, lists of roommates, family members, teachers, supervisors, other friends and acquaintances, written statements, blah blah blah, plus submit HS and college/university diplomas (as applicable), any relevant skill certificates, full transcripts, do a LiveScan fingerprinting, etc.
    Then wait while they interview people you listed, and some others (this also happens while they have you running around and getting transcripts in, and getting the below stuff done).
    then polygraph, psych, more interviews. Then medical exam, blood tests, urine test, then issue gear, give out a list of required uniform components, give a swear-in date, and recite the oath when you get there.

Seemed like a lot of hassle, at the time, but doesn't seem like that much when I write it all out. Took from March or April through almost the end of July, which I understand is still pretty quick. My first time though, and it seemed like forever.

25. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I've heard there are a lot of weird questions like this. I'm hopefully going to be taking something like this but without the form to fill out. Any links to this sort of form so I'd have an idea what to expect?