GUN LEO suspended for drawing his weapon

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

North Carolina Officer Suspended for Drawing Gun

Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008
    Updated: January 25th, 2008 01:14 PM PDT

MIKE TORRALBA
    The Charlotte Observer (North Carolina)

Jan. 25--A Marshville police officer has been suspended while the town looks into whether he acted appropriately when he drew his gun on a 16-year-old girl who did not immediately pull over for a traffic stop.

A Wingate officer involved in the incident is also under investigation.

The girl, Ashlyn Stewart, was arrested Sunday night after she led police across nearly 3 miles of unlit country road between Wingate and Marshville in Union County.

Her mother, Donna Helms, claims Stewart was acting on her advice to find a safe, lighted place before pulling over. Helms has submitted a written complaint to the town officials in Marshville and Wingate, demanding that the two officers be fired. The Marshville Town Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to place Sgt. James Scott on administrative suspension with pay for 30 days while the incident is investigated.

The Wingate officer who started the pursuit, Sgt. Jonathon Philemon, remains on duty. The town personnel review board will consider his case.

No criminal complaint has been filed against either officer.

According to police records, the pursuit began about 9:45 p.m. Sunday with the Wingate officer following a red Volkswagen Jetta on Old Highway 74. Philemon turned on his blue lights, and the Jetta continued another 1.5 miles before its emergency blinkers came on. Police say the driver was going about 55 to 60 mph. The speed limit is 55 mph.

The chase continued for another mile before Philemon, joined by two Marshville patrol cars, forced the driver to stop at the intersection of Old Highway 74 and Old Pageland-Marshville Road.

One of the Marshville officers, Scott, got out of his car and rushed over to the Jetta. He was pointing his gun and flashlight, according to a report he filed. He ordered the driver out and, with Philemon, handcuffed her.

Meanwhile, Stewart's mother, Helms, was running toward the scene: The officers had stopped her daughter 50 feet shy of her home on Old Pageland-Marshville Road. Helms said she had told her daughter via cell phone not to stop on the unlit road but to continue on home, according to police reports and Helms' complaint.

Philemon arrested the Forest Hills High School junior and took her to Union County jail. She was charged with misdemeanors: failure to comply with drivers license restrictions, driving with an expired registration and failure to yield to a police light and siren.

Later, Stewart told her mother she had to ask Philemon to buckle her seat belt because she was handcuffed and in the front seat.

On the way to jail, Helms wrote, Philemon played loud music, swerved and acted "like he was playing the drums on the steering wheel."

Wingate Police Chief Barry Glass said the town personnel review committee will determine whether there was any misconduct by Philemon, 30, a six-year veteran of the department.

Glass said the law requires motorists to pull over immediately if signaled to stop, but that officers will often allow motorists to continue if they signal that they intend to pull over and are headed toward a lighted area.

Marshville Police Chief Mike Gaddy defended Scott, 30, as a "fine officer" with no other personnel complaints since joining the department in 2003.

Gaddy said it was unfair that the council excluded police -- including him and Scott -- from a closed session on the incident. The council reopened the session and voted to suspend Scott.

Donna Helms could not be reached for comment. She is a sister of Marshville Mayor Pro Tem Gail Kiker, who said she offered to recuse herself. But other council members did not see a conflict of interest, she said. Other members could not immediately be reached.

The Marshville council will hold a special meeting Monday night to decide who should conduct the outside investigation.
    --

:ugh: sounds like the only thing the cop did wrong is he didn't taser the cunt mother.

2. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

So she was on the phone with her mom, but couldn't call the police to tell them that she was looking for a safe place to pull over?

3. johnson

johnson New Member

16 year old girl. People get scared and shit happens. I dont blame her.

4. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I do. I guess when you're already breaking the law, there's no reason to start complying just because you're getting pulled over.

5. Section8

Section8 .

I see no problem with her trying to find a lit area to pull over, but fucking turn your damn hazard lights on so the cop KNOWS you intend to pull over.

I can't believe they suspended him for this.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Her mother was on the other end of the phone, shouldn't she have had some common sense?

7. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:roflwtf: that family sounds like it's full of fail and now making up stupid bullshit.

Who thinks it would be a good idea to wait 3 miles to pull over. :rofl:

9. johnson

johnson New Member

what does that mean? :hsugh:

10. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

She should've ran. Make 'em earn their pay.

11. Section8

Section8 .

it means she waited a full minute and a half after he flashed her to let him know that she recognized him - that's a bit long you think?

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

It would have been smart for this girl to turn on her hazards and interior light if she didn't intend to pull over immediately.
    The girl's mom is the mayor's sister, so it sounds like the department administratively suspended the officer to show they are taking a serious look at what appears to be a legitimate use of force.
    Administrative suspensions don't count for negative bumps in the officer's jacket, so the mother just bought him a month vacation.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

Because she phoned her mom in which her mom told her to turn on the blinkers...

First you say she shouldve turned on her blinkers, and now she didnt turn on her blinkers fast enough.

14. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

15. Section8

Section8 .

you're reading too much into my post. My point was she should have turned them on immediately, sorry i didn't spell it out for you.

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Sorry I shouldve spelled out that she was nervous/whatever and that's why she phoned her mom.

17. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

Yea you need a well light area to protect you. Esp. if cops are pulling you over.

18. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

she deserves a slap for being so stupid.

19. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

Just one?

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

it doesn't take you 1.5 miles to hit one damn button. Since they say she was going 55-60 the whole time that is over a minute and a half before making any kind of acknowledgment.

I mean you don't get that long to respond to a phone call before the answering machine or voicemail takes over and it can be upstairs in the back bedroom. Heck in that time, she probably called mom, mom ran to get her phone and answered it, calmed down a frantic teenager, then asked if she had pulled over and was waiting for the officer, finally upon learning that her idiot daughter had not she told her to at least signal the officer with her hazards.

I don't blame mom or the daughter for wanting to get to a well lit area, but be smart about it. Hell a girl I dated back when I was 16 knew exactly what to do, put the hazards on and find a safe place to stop, her dad had even written down the number for police dispatch so that she could confirm it was a real officer before stopping.

As for the gun, the officer was comply justified, after failure to comply or even respond for a minute or two, he would have had no idea of what to expect, if they hiding drugs or weapons, he probably was uncertain of how many people there were and he was most certainly unaware of her intent. Better to have the gun drawn and and not trained and not needed than caught fumbling with a holster.

All we know is that he "drew" his weapon, which could be anything from unholstering as he approached the car to demanding to see her hands or for her to exit the car slowly to pointing the gun directly at her. The only way he should get in trouble is if A) He pointed the weapon directly at her after it had become clear that she was not a threat. B) His finger was at any point on the trigger C) He was high during the traffic stop.

As for after she was arrested :rofl: He listened to music and tapped a hand along with the music, can't be any more dangerous than running from the cops while on a cell phone. Though the swerving could be an issue, she was likely exaggerating.

21. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I pull over in the most dangerous spot for cops now. Fuck'em, Im not getting out of the car.

Ive tried to not pull over in construction zones, country rds with no shoulders or lighting, 7 lane highways etc and find a safe parking lot somewhere etc. But you just get a cussing and some boring ass lecture that I dont really care to hear.

22. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

All that for 55-60 in a 55? :ugh:

The police are fucking out of control.

23. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Pull over in a crap spot and he may make you get out of the car :mamoru: seen it happen.

24. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Then Id just have to offer my refusal to remove myself from the vehicle until we found a safer spot.

25. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats what she was doing after they were trying to pull her over, could of been going faster before that. They got her for expired reg too not sure what NC is like some states have colored stickers on the tags, cop may of been pulling her for that originally.