A&P Lense Filter Q

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GuiltySparc, Dec 28, 2004.

1. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

I got a DRebel for christmas and its awesome. I also got the canon bag thing and that came with an extra battery and a filter. Its a canon filter called Haze 1. The paper that was inside the box says its like a UV filter and good for blocking haze...when should i use this filter and what effect will it have?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You can leave the filter on all the time. You won't really see any effect from it but it does a good job of protecting your lens from the elements.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

so its kinda like a clear lense cap in that way? I assume other filters make a difference, whats a good set of filters to get?

4. sony

sony Active Member

You could look at it like a clear lens cap.. :hsugh: I guess thats one way to see it. Theres a lot of filters out there... it depends what you want to do.

5. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

i was more talking about this one is particular, the way he described made me think of a clear lense cap :)

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

In a manner of speaking, the haze filter or UV filter is a "clear" lens cap. This filter may make a small difference when shooing pics on a hazy day but it's best use is simply to protect your front lens element.

A good set of other filters you may want to consider are:

Polorizer, fog #1 and #2, Closeup diaopters (unless you have a macro lens), star burst (if you like that effect). Other filters are more specialized such as color filters for B/W work and other special effect filters. You'll find that the polorizer is very useful for darking the sky and getting rid of unwanted reflections. The fog filters are nice for softening a pic.

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I doubt it's a very effective filter, so yeah just look at it as a lens protector.