A&P Lens Types: say waht?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mooingmooseman, Jun 21, 2008.

1. mooingmooseman

mooingmooseman New Member

Hey guys,

First time poster on OT Photo. I'm in DPReview a lot but I thought I'd give the OT photo crew a shot.

I'm not new to digital photography but I got my first dSLR this year so I am new to lenses and dSLR's. I have a Nikon d40 but that's kind of irrelevant.

What are the different types of lenses (in general)? I saw a $1000 macro lens thats 100mm f/2.8.... I own a 55-200 f/4.8 that cost $200.... why is the macro that much more? Can't I just shoot with mine at 100mm? I understand the aperture is better but for a couple for stops, how can that be worth that much more money... so you say "well people are just willing to pay for those f stops". okay then look at this:

There's a 16-35mm f/2.8 lens selling for $1600 in this picture

http://uploader.ws/upload/200806/DSC_4164b.jpg

I just don't understand. My kit lens seems similar.... Where are these high prices coming from? The only spec I attribute to good glass is the focal range and f/stops.... and neither seem great in that lens

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Generally speaking, you're paying for lens speed, image quality, and build quality.

3. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

16-35 2.8L you can buy from Amazon.com for $1350

Higher end lenses are more expensive because:

Glass is better(quality optical glass is ~$2,000 per kg or something)
    Focuses faster
    USM(quiet focusing)
    Can have Image Stabilization
    Larger aperture (numerical wise smaller)** 1.2>2.8 larger glass = more $$$

4. mooingmooseman

any measures that show me glass and focusing quality?

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

also for wides and normal lenses look for aspherical glass, its supposedly sharper and better corrected corner to corner. and for teles (75mm and longer) look for APO, Apochromatic, refers to corrections for the fact that light colors havedifferent wave lengths and therefore focus in different planes. the lens designer utilizes apochronatic correction to correct for this.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Theres so much wrong with your post that i'm confusing myself trying to comprehend it.

so i'll just list things that are true, and let you make sense of them.

1. fixed focal lengths are sharper than zooms

2. Lenses don't get sharp until 2 or more stops from wide open.

3. mid length zooms (55-200) make compromises in quality of glass so they can provide that range of length.

3a Your 55-200 is not a 4.5 It's 4.5 wide open (at 55), but it's 5.6 at 200.

4. losing two stops of light on a lens severly cripples yours options of available shots. Those two stops are equivalent to a cloud covering the sun.

5. f stop severly alters depth of field. 2 stops is the difference between an oof background, and a reaaaally distracting background.

6. consumer grade lenses are... well... built to a consumer level. In all respects.

7. photography is based 100% off of light. More available light = more available options = more available creative solutions to shoot an image.

8. each stop gained is 2x more light. 2.8 lets in 2x 4.0, which lets in 2x 5.6. Therefore, 2.8 is 4x brighter than 5.6. huge difference.

I think thats all I have. Questions?

9. The 'macro' designation in a lens also gives you the ability to focus within inches of your subject, and allows you to photograph the subject and an extremely large size. They also use technology to give you an extremely flat focus plane and are well known for their razor sharp detail.

For example, even if you shot at 100mm all day long, you could NOT capture this image with your lens:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  8. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i disagree some lenses are pretty equal wide open, but they are not common. one example is leica elmarit-r 100mm f2.8 apo macro.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

edit.

did you really just use a $3000 lens to try and show that my statement is not true!?! :rofl: :slap:

This is OBVIOUSLY the exception to the rule.

99.99% of all lenses are not as sharp wide open as they are stopped down.

10. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

a 1000 dollar lens may get pics that a 200 dollar lens can't, and that is worth a lot

11. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I agree with this.

12. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:bowdown:

13. mooingmooseman

got it. thanks! i think that's one of the better explanations i've ever heard.