A&P Lens recommendation please?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by H-Bomb, Jan 27, 2005.

1. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

Could someone recommend a lens for me?

It's going to be mounted on a Canon DSLR.
    I just need something ametuer level. Something for outdoor use. I don't need something with rediculous zoom capabilities. Just something to start me off on. :hs:

Please excuse the ignorance in the matter. If there is more information needed, please let me know what I need to add.

ib:ugh:

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

If it's a Rebel, why not the Rebel kit lens ?

3. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

it's a 20D body only.

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

The 18-55mm kit lens is still cheap. You could grab one on ebay :dunno:

5. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

what price range?

6. Twisted

Twisted Beauty in motion.....

Yeah, kit lenses are easily found for $60-$100

If you want to spend a little more money on a quality lense look at the Tamron 27-70 f/2.8 XRdi. Its about $300 and a great lense.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

More importantly is what are you taking photos of?

Do you need wide angles or do you need telephoto?

Are you taking landscape shots? Then something like the 18-55 would work.

Are you taking photos of your kids playing soccer, then you might want something like the 75-300 so you can get close to them.

C'mon guys, you cant suggest a lens without knowing what he is shooting.

8. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Start out with a 50mm f/1.8 and learn from there. You'll quickly see what type of shots you tend to take and base your needs on your next lens from that.

Plus the 50mm f/1.8 is awesome for the price. It's cheap. You'll eventually get one anyways.

You'll also learn a lot more too as you'll have to work to get the composition you want.

And if you do get it, and find the 'zoom' doesn't work, don't worry it's not broken. :o

9. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

Canon 28-135mm IS is a great, imho, walk around lens - $400
    Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super II (i think) is a very good lens for the price - $175-$200

not sure what range you want though, but for outdoors, those 2 should work great :)

10. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

The Sigma lens is a nice little lens. I've bought it the other week and I've no complaints.

11. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

< $400

12. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

1. Cars/People
    2. No
    3. I would like to occasionally but the main focus of this lens is object oriented
    4. I was thinking I need a "fast" lens (is that how they are referred as?) for motion shots? Does speed of the lens directly correlate to the motion of the subject that is being shot?

13. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

Exactly how does one determine what kind of shots one takes? Are you talking about the objects I'm shooting or the environment of the shot?

14. mojito

mojito New Member

No a fast lens coorelates to the aperaute of the lens, in terms of how much light it lets in. A F/1.8 or F/2 or F/2.8 are going to be considered fast. Something like a F/4-5.6 are slow. There are differences in auto focus speed, which looks like it could be of concern, but its not something thats easily measured.

The Tamron 28-75 XR Di could be good, the Canon 50mm F/1.8 and 85MM F/1.8 are great. Or you could grab the kit lens (18-55mm) and the Canon 70-200 F/4 L and keep it on except for wide angle type shots. The 70-200 is really fast at focusing and has incredible image quality for a zoom lens

15. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

This is what I was hoping I could get in a lens:

1. Good for low-light situations (i.e. evening, night, and indoor shots). Very rarely will I take shots at high noon/bright conditions
    2. I don't need zoom or macro abilities
    3. Something that is good for motion but will still be fine in no motion situations (is that contridictory when it comes to lenses?)

Thanks for all the responses, and sorry for the way I am answering the questions (in different posts). It is just easier to figure out what goes where this way :hs:

16. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

Ah. You replied before I posted my previous post. That clears things up. I will have to look up what type of speed corresponds to my environment :cool:

17. mojito

mojito New Member

On a film camera, a 50mm is what the eye sees, so no zoom or wide perspective. On a digi its a bit more telephoto, but still faily close. Its a small and light lens, and lets in a ton of light so you can use it in almost any lighting situation. He's refering to the fact that you can find out if you'd rather have more zoom or to have more wide angle. Having a prime lens (where its a fixed focal length, so no zoom) helps control perspective, in that you have to move around to see how you can change the picture, not just turning a ring.

They are also better optical quality, smaller, lighter, sometimes sharper and cheeper, and much better at gathering light.

18. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Guest

gotcha. So now I have determined I want a prime lens :cool:

19. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

28mm prime.

i shot a car with the 50mm last night and it was too zoomed in to get anything good in focus.

28mm will be good and its about 300 buckzorz.

another good option im told is the sigma 18-50 ex
    or sigma 24-70 EX
    both are f2.8

im waiting to hear from OT about these bad boys though :)