A&P Lens on backorder - Pay premium to get it earlier?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Astro, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've been keeping an eye on the Tokina 11-16mm (Nikon flavor) and noticed this lens is a bugger to get a hold of. I placed an order 3 weeks ago at a local camera shop. They told me 2 to 3 weeks and possibly much longer (no ETA) if something is up with the manufacture. I wouldn't mind giving them my business and they were able to order the lens for $599, which seems reasonable. I had called them about 5 days ago and didn't get a helpful answer from them on the ETA other than it was on order.

Here's the dilemma: I will be in Russia at the beginning of August and would really like to have this lens with me for the trip. Amazon has the lens available (the 3rd party merchants they have say they have the lens in stock). Three weeks ago I could get one for $659. Now its up to $679.

Should I place an order on Amazon and sleep a little better knowing the lens is on its way? Or should I hold out a bit longer with this local shop?

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

God, I'm glad I got this a long time ago; a few of my friends are having the same trouble. It's definitely worth the wait and extra few bucks.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Update: Problem solved. Called the local shop today and the lens just arrived. Whew! Hopefully I can still get it for $599 (forgot to ask). On Amazon, the price just went up to $699 for one in stock. I double checked and B&H and Adoroma are still out.