A&P Lens Help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cornflake, Dec 13, 2006.

1. cornflake

cornflake ...

My parents are going to get me a 350d for Christmas (beginner, no experience) and I've asked for the body only and the 50mm 1.8 lens instead of the kit lens. Is this something you all would recommend? I've heard about the kit lens being junk and I'd rather get the other if that is so.

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i'd rather have the 50mm than the kit lens but I'd also rather have a zoom lens than a prime as my only lens. look into the Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 if you want a wide/standard zoom lens.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Sounds like an okay plan. :)

4. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Get the 50mm and also get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for zoom duties. The 1.8 will help out bigtime when you're in low-light situations.
    Both are damn good lenses anyhow.

I thought about getting the 28-75 because of the excecllent shots that a lot of people here have taken. I didn't think it was wide enough, so i bought the 17-50. One thing you gotta keep in mind is that the Tamron 28-75 WILL work on full frame cameras; however the 17-50 only works on cropped sensors.

I think the 17-50 is about 450 right now, but it will hold its price well. I'm still a noob but i'm VERY happy with the 50mm 1.8 and the tamron 17-50.

5. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

If you can spend more then go for the 17-50mm but if you can't afford it right now, the kit lens will help you through the learning process. You'll see the limitations in it quickly but at least you'll have a prime to get better quality images too.

6. Nullius

Nullius New Member

the prime is a bad idea for a walkaround lens, you'll have to zoom with your feet. however it is an excellent beginners lens because it teaches you depth of field (DOF) and how to use it correctly.

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I have both Tamron lenses mentioned. I also have the 1.8 50mm. If I weren't shooting low light events I wouldn't be using the 50mm at all.

8. Changed

Changed Guest

I worked all summer to buy a 350D, and I decided on the Tamron 28-75 after some reccomendations on this forum. I never realized how much I loved that lens now that all I have is the 50mm 1.8

I had to sell the Tamron for $, so I wanted SOMETHING to shoot with, and at $60 the 1.8 is it. But, I haven't really shot anything worthwhile with it. Its good for low light (which I dont shoot) or street photography (but DSLR's aren't optimum for street shooting). I'd say go with the Tamron 28-75 if you can afford it.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:jerkit: DOF is the same regardless of prime or zoom.

A prime is good because it makes you work for your composition. This will make you consciously think about how your photo is composed each time you look through the lens.

....which is a good thing.