A&P Lens for group shots.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by scap, Apr 11, 2010.

1. scap

scap New Member

I have done weddings for a little while now and I still have one problem I am not sure how to fix. I shoot with a 5D Mark II and I have been using the 17-40 for group shots. Its not my favorite lens (occasionally I like it for landscapes) but for group shots its a dog. The corners get distorted and people look fat and ugly and well fat people just look awful. I was thinking about buying the 35 1.4 to use for group shots but thought I would ask what people on here use first.

scap

2. nine

nine OT Supporter

if you leave some extra space on the edges of the frame you'll have less distortion and room to adjust for it in photoshop

3. scap

scap New Member

I have been adjusting for it in photoshop but if I could get a lens that wouldn't require it and would make my photos better I am all for it. Maybe I should look into a tilt-shift ... too bad they are so expensive.

I guess my question is how do you guys do your group shots. Do you shoot and leave room to correct in photoshop or do you have a better lens or some other trick.

4. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

Any UWA is going to distort people that are standing at the edges. It's partly due to lens distortion and partly due to perspective. If you can keep people away from the edges of the frame, that's the first place to start. After that, you either need to back up and shoot with a less wide lens or stitch them into a panorama.

5. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

at 17mm?

how big of a group are you shooting and how close are you?

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

One thing you can do is stand back and zoom in some. If your shooting at your wide end your gonna get distortion on your FF due to how close your gonna be to the group.

I use a 16-35mk2 on my 1.6 crop, but when shooting people I still like to keep the focal length away from the wide end.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Back off from groups, any ultrawide is going to distort the edges.
    even if you shoot at the widest, then frame it with some crop space.
    Or just move back a few steps.

If you can't do any of that, then assemble the group somewheres else.

8. scap

scap New Member

I shot it at about 35mm and the group was probably 30-40 people so it was a large group. I was probably 30-40 feet or so away. I was able to make it work by fixing the distortion in photoshop but it was a pita so I was hoping there was some sort of trick. It sounds like either I do that or I shoot with a lot of room and crop as needed. My thinking with the 35L was that yes it will likely have some distortion but it could possibly be as bad as the 17-40.