Legends of Everquest

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by GiRaff3, Jun 8, 2008.

1. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

So, I played EQ when it came out back in the day, and by play I mean I sold my soul. I was in high school, things were so new and fresh in the world of MMOs back then. In 2000ish I sold my account for a good chunk of change and that was it.

Later on I met some new friends in a new town and one of them was an EQer. He begged me to get back into it so I started up again very briefly. I leveled up a character to 25 and was kind of :rolleyes:. The experience was not the same, I was not having as much fun.

Since then, I have played through WoW a good bit, quit that. Getting to the end game scene was just pathetic. Do not flame me for that. If you are willing to put in the time and deal with the drama, more power to you. Moving on...

EQ sent me an e-mail talking about Legends. You get a month and a half of free playing, a bunch of free items, and a bunch of abilities just for coming back. Well, I recovered the password to my account, downloaded the 5,000 fucking expansions, and fired it up. I jumped in the game and immediately felt helpless. Not like the world is unknown, or I was in danger, but I have no fucking clue what EQ is about anymore.

I spent a bunch of time getting some sort of baller stone for traveling, which took me hours last night. I have found that they dumbed the game down a ton in an attempt to compete with the teeny-bopper style of WoW. There are infinity quests, which was never the style of EQ. All kinds of shit is easier, but the world is so fucking huge. I havn't even had a chance attempt to level yet, simply because I have no idea where to go.

It did feel really good to go back to my old stomping ground on Faydwer. Greater Fay, Butcherblock Mountains...sigh, the memories. I will never forget Everquest and all of the pain/enjoyment I got out of it.

Anyone else fucking around with Legends?

2. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

pity reply

3. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

pity, pity reply

4. Boltzz

Boltzz New Member

eq's dead, let it say that way man

5. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

i was able to spend some time leveling and it was actually fun again...

sucky part is that the world is HUGE and not nearly as many people play...couple that with me being in a different time zone than everyone and it makes grouping more difficult.

6. Tryfaen

Tryfaen New Member

the EQ client is bloated and laggy on my older computer that I used to 3box with.
    the game is no longer challenging.
    the free armor is silly good.
    the xp is stupid high. it's actually faster than on shitty eqemu servers with high xp rates.
    We have run into a lot of uh buggy stuff that just shouldnt be in a game that has a monthly fee.
    and a lot of other negative stuff.

In summary, if you want anything that the old EQ that you remember offered, you wont find it in EQlive.

7. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

oldschool EQ before the first expansion was the best gaming experience ever.

unrest and lower guk was the best shit. all the trains that came out of the house in unrest and slaughtering all the people zoning in :rofl::rofl: i had a ranger and would pull the entire house and zone out lol.

"train inc to zone!!!":bowdown:

and i remember owning on rallos zek pvp server, thats how pvp should be, you die, you lose all your money on you and the player can take 1 item off your corpse. i was a hardcore pker and most of the server knew me. pvp'd people from levels 16-19 and twinked myself out the ass in magic resist gear. one time i pwned some mage and looted his shoulder piece. that thing was worth like 800pp or something crazy.

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

sounds like u need to unplug from the computer

9. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

I'm playing on combine/xegony.

10. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

i really do not play that much...

11. BiscuitsNgroovy

BiscuitsNgroovy OT Supporter

I used to play all those online games, I tried playing a couple of them briefly and I know the whole "lost" feeling you speak of. I was in middle school/ high school so I had nothing to do other then play games all the time.

I remember camping the FBSS and runed schimitar down in lower guk forever. I used to farm so much shit as a druid and jack up the prices. It was fun just to explore all the zones because it was like you said all "new."

It's weird because the only games I even enjoy anymore are sports games.

12. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

as gay as it sounds, its like a first love. you fall in love after that its not the same :wtc:

13. Rambro

Rambro New Member

i thought i was the only one that shit happened too. i havent played a mmorpg since EQ because the wonder and newness just wont be there. i remember running around with my first character, and human cleric slaying giant rats and shit in qeynos. at like level 5 i tried to move to freeport but a muddite kicked my ass when i was halfway at the beholders maze. i almost fucking cried.

14. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

i went from lvl 25 to lvl 60 playing casually in 1.5 weeks. there are so many helpful people. my gear sucks compared to players now, but fucking destroys old stuff my leaps and bounds...

15. BiscuitsNgroovy

I remember migrating from Halas to freeport with my lvl 5 barbarian rogue. I got owned twice cuz my monitor was old way to dark for the dungeons. Once in blacktooth or blackthorn or whatever, the gnoll place. Then once in that dungeon you have to go through right after beholders. I felt the same way.:wtc:

16. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Blackburrow ring a bell?

Fucking gnolls... :hsd:

17. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

its all about oasis and unrest. i used to go there everytime i leveled on my druid. freak out the noobs because i could single pull anything in the zone because of the bug.

18. BiscuitsNgroovy

I used to quad kite shit with my druid and when shit went awry, just train it to whatever zone I was near and let the mobs rape people other then me.

19. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

i did that shit in plane of fire, mobs hit for like 800 there. i could train raids and kill them lol.

20. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

fun moments in EQ

1. getting lost in.. fuck, the karanas or whatever. huge ass zone, finding some random guys and saying "twink me up" and having them hand me a shitload of twink gear. me flipping out, and then them, 2 minutes later, realizing i wasn't their friend who they were holding items for, just some random person. they pleaded to get their shit back. i ran away, and a ranger GM shot me dead (i was kos).

2. racing guilds for spawns, oh fuck was that fun, I was in a guild called Cynosure. lead by Seryne (spelling?). he was a ruthless fucker, but the best leader i've ever known. it wasn't a democracy, it was a dictatorship. i was the best monk in the guild, and he'd send teams of the monks to train the other guilds raid so that we'd get to the spawn first. we were organized as fuck.

3. getting my primals, getting my ton po's bo staff, getting my first.... fuck what was the +20 regen tunic from the king's room? fungus covered tunic? farming my fbss. farming fucking orc belts in west freeport, or just beyond. doing my epic quest. oh god, camping raster for 18 hours straight with my brother.

4. learning to pull, and pull well. learning the guild's abilities, and keeping a constant supply of mobs incomming at all times.

5. fuckin killing RZ, and then cock blocking every other guild on the server for months to keep them out of elemental planes.

hahhaahaa, i just did a quick search of my old name. and found a post i made on allakhazam, selling a "paw of opolla" (the thing thats created by combining a couple rings and a fist item, turned into some great druid item. i apparently was farming the paws so i could buy a knuckle duster.

EQ, great mother fucking game. I loved it way more than I ever loved WoW.

21. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I have still been playing EQ and the fun has not stopped. I have already got into trader moder because I have learned the prices for various items. I have ran into a couple of nice people who have hooked me up with a few items, which I sold/traded to gear up three characters, ha.

My paladin is up to 61, but I have not been playing him. I created a rogue 2 days ago and he is lvl 23. I have a necro on the back burner, but I will level him eventually.

Leveling is much more fun because every class can solo now as long as they have decent gear. The content is fucking HUGE! There is so much out there to do. The quests are much MUCH better than before and there are close to ZERO bugs in the game. People are uber helpful because there aren't infinity around like before to leech everything you want.

22. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I zoned out of Plane of Fear a LONG time ago. It dropped me right in the middle of a swamp on the spawn of a bunch of invisible men. I don't know if you guys have ever had an encounter with invisible men, but they kick a lot of ass. They cannot be outrun and will hit you for considerable damage, even when you are 20 levels higher then them. I fucking ran my ASS off to a zone, used up all of the charges on my Soulfire, and was screaming at the screen so I would no die. I have like 15 of them on my and they were spamming 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30. There were too many to fight and if I would have died, I would have lost level 50, which was the highest at the time.

23. BiscuitsNgroovy

I used to exploit the shit out of pathing in various places to get through hell levels. I would use levitate and SoW and get on the walls in freeport, and DoT the warrior guild master to death. Then I would do the same shit in castle mistmoore. Never got a cloak of the dhampir tho. :wtc:

24. BiscuitsNgroovy

Haha, yeah. I feel the same way. I wonder if my account even exists anymore.

25. UndefinedMinded

UndefinedMinded Active Member