GUN Legal SKS mods?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by konrad109, Jun 29, 2008.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Anybody know the current laws when it comes to modding an SKS?

I want to buy an SKS, put a 10 round detachable magazine on it and a monte carlo stock. Is this legal in Illinois? I know they restrict magazines to 10 rounds or less, and detachable magazines are basically illegal for semi autos unless they are US made or something like that. I've seen plenty of 10+ round detachable magazines for Ak47s at the ranges though. Can anybody clear this up?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know Il law but if your going to be limited to 10rd's keep the stock fixed 10 rounder its quicker to load that with a stripper then swap a mag. Monte stock won't be a problem either, wont run into possible problems there unless you go for a p grip folder.

3. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Solution 1: Move to a free state.

Solution 2: Search teh intarweb. A quick search in Yahoo brought me to this: http://www.ichv.org/summarylaws.htm which says there is no assault weapons ban in IL and no magazine restrictions. However, you may want to check on that because I'm not sure it's 100% accurate, and IL doesn't pre-empt lower governments so depending on where you live there may be different requirements.

Solution 3: Move to a free state.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Location says shitcago so yeah he's fucked as far as high cap mag's.

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If you bought it on a C&R license, you can't modify it. Must stay in it's original configuration.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I like the detachable clip because it looks nicer and I like detaching and reattaching it. I'm fine with 10 rounds.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

This is what I'm confused about. Apperently you can buy U.S. made "compliance kits" which bypass the law which says that you can't "build a semi automatic rifle from imported parts." As long as most of the parts are US made I should be fine.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thats to keep them 922 compliant, if your going to have a monte stock and detachable mag as long as you dont have a flash hider and take the bayonet off you wont need to worry about 922.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Not true, you can modify it as long as it stays 922r compliant, but you can no longer list it as a C&R, it needs to be logged out of your bound book as modified.

There's no illinois law that says you can't put big mags, bayonets, gren launchers, hand blenders or whatever you like on your gun. Cook county and the city of chicago have a variety of gun laws that you'll need to look into, including an assault weapons ban that will be a serious limitation on what you can do.

Besides its a SKS, just shoot it and be happy, don't sink money into it trying to make it into something its not.

10. cent

cent New Member

:ugh:

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

It looks like I can't put a detachable magazine on it because that would make it an assault gun. :ugh:

Can't wait for the court to rip Daley and the Cook county comissioners a new asshole.

12. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I tried out an SKS with the TAPCO compliance kit at the shop. It felt great. Slightly lighter, but also the pistol grip is really comfortable. Ugh, this assault weapons ban is so ridiculous.