GUN legal question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dranian, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

a while back i bought a cz52 at a gun show. i recently recieved something in the mail from the dealer i bought it from saying that he wrote the serial number down wrong and the ATF is bothering him. he asks that i call him and tell him the correct serial number on my firearm.

Can I get into any legal trouble if I refuse? I value my privacy and would prefer not to correct his sloppy record keeping if I have that option. I don't really want to lie and say I can't read the serial number cuz its such an old gun, i'm just thinking of not calling him. What should I do?

basically, is it his problem and not mine? or am i required to provide him with the serial number for a gun i purchased from him over a month ago?

2. followme

followme Shhh...your voice is annoying me

Have him give you the ATF contact info that he has and go straight to the source. He can get it from them if he was being honest about the error.

3. Dranian

Dranian (..)

ok, thats a good idea. do you know if its legally required that i give the info out at all though? i suppose if the ATF wants it i have to give it to them huh?

4. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

It's a damn number, just give it to him

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

dont see how a serial number on your gun affects anyway your privacy as a person? He isnt asking for your ssn# or anything.. quit being a little bitch

6. Dranian

Dranian (..)

good point but I'm stubborn and would rather not if I don't have to.

7. Dranian

Dranian (..)

you forgot lazy, its lazy little bitch.

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I stand corrected :o

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

No shit. Live with it. I've had my run ins with the ATF; it ain't fun. Cooperate now -- that's my advice.

10. soccaian

soccaian New Member

in florida, the ATF doesnt even look at the Form 4's until the dealer gives up his FFL. however, the bound book is turned in and reviewed every year. being an employee of an ffl, i can tell you that it would be awesome to not be a dick about it and just call him up and give him the number. the discrepancy between the serial on the Form 4 and in the bound book could cause him to lose his license.

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Yeah, I'm not about helping people out of jams they've created for themselves. However this is a major thing for an FFL holder, and it would give the ATF a reason to shut him down (after saying that I highly doubt they would shut him down for a simple issue such as this, but you never know). If you don't like the guy don't give it, but also keep in mind no one here is a lawyer and in this country apparently your rights don't mean shit anymore.

12. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Oh yeah I forgot that i don't have rights anymore, damn patriot act. Ok, I guess I'd better just give it to him then. I don't wanna piss off the ATF anyway. I need them to approve my paperwork for a suppressor.

13. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

which suppressor did you end up going with on that Tactical?

14. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I ordered the CCF carbon fiber one with a matching serial number. I wanted the SWR HEMS2 but the dealer told me there was a really long wait to get one of them. I just don't have the patience. The dealer was an idiot but thats ok. Also getting back to the original post I called the guy and gave him my cz serial number. He said the ATF might call me to verify.

15. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

How did you like talking to Larry? He keep you on the phone for an hour?
    You'll enjoy that CCF can, but if I had to do mine over again I'd have picked up the HEMS2 and waited for a stocking dealer in state to get one.
    Mine's going back next Monday to get upgraded to the matte carbon fiber version.
    Anyways probably was a good idea to go ahead and give the FFL a call and just get that over with.
    [​IMG]

16. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I didn't actually talk to larry...yet. though I was contemplating calling him to check the status of my order. I doubt i'll call him though unless there's a reason to. i don't have the patience for class 3 stuff. my order was placed on july 12th but it seems like its been forever. nice pic by the way.

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Blackouts are okay knives, just don't ever twist it or push too hard to one side while cutting or doing something tough. The plastic is flexible enough to allow the blade to pivot side to side enough to unlock, and possibly close on your fingers. The avalanch is a better knife all around, if you want a Ken Onion designed Kershaw. Almost the same blade profile, but it's far easier to hold onto, especially with wet or greasy hands, because of the G10 grips. The metal liners are FULL metal liners, and are thick. There is no way for this knife to flex. I have both, and the Blackout is my daily carry knife, because it's the one I beat to death. I don't care if I lose it or break the tip of it prying something stupid.

18. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

I have a whirlwind which uses the same scales as the blackout but after my brother got an avalanche I have to say that I wish I would have spent more and bought it instead. G10 is so nice :hs:

19. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

That knife is my EDC blade, there are better blades out there, some probably at a better price for what I paid for mine. But like you said if I lose it (which I've actually lost one) or I stab bags of cement mix all day long with it I don't care. If I carried a Strider SMF every day I might be more inclined to check if its still in my pocket way too often.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

So true, so true. This guy I met at a funstore had a Buck/Strider folder with him as his daily carry. I seriously didn't see what all the rage was about. For that kind of money, I could buy like 4 other quality knives.

21. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I would just give it to him, I don't see any harm in that. Its not like you bought a gun private sale without any paperwork, and all of a sudden someone wants paperwork on it.. dont screw the guy over if he wrote down the SN wrong :dunno: