GUN Legal for IDPA?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Feb 10, 2009.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I just put a set of XS Big Dots and a Hogue grip on my G19. Is this legal for IDPA use? I'm going to my first match on the 26th and if it isn't, I'll just use my G21 or USPc.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Legal yes, ideal, no.

Although rears are funky, they do qualify as "traditional Notch and post".

3. THT

What would you consider ideal?

4. According to the SSP rules, you're allowed a "conventional notch and post sight" which would mean the big dots are ok. You're also allowed a "slip on grip sock" which would allow your Hogue grip.

Interestingly, ESP doesn't include the grip sock on the permitted modifications list.

EDIT: I see AB beat me.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

The most widely used, and highly regarded "competition" sights, and what I have found to be very good for competitive shooting, are a Fiber Optic front framed by target rears.

I don't want to get into a cluster #@$# on XS Big Sights. Go onto BrianEnos.com and ask the accomplished competition shooters who have tried them their thoughts on it. 98/100 will tell you they are worthless for competitive shooting.

I have heard claims of folks shooting targets out to 100 yards, but I've also SEEN people hit targets with no sights at all, so that claim means very little to me. It's an accomplished shooter overcoming restrictions most under accomplished shooters would have difficulty with, including myself.

In IDPA, you will be forced to make a lot of tight shots. I've shot Poppers out to 35 yards and targets out to 50 yards. It's nice to be able to see the target you are shooting at without having the front sight all but block your view. And nothing is faster than a fiber optic sight on outdoor events.

More power to you if you can get them to work, and I don't mean to dog your sights, I'm just relaying my experiences. They are generally widely looked down upon by the gear geeks of the competitive shooting world.

6. THT

Not dogging at all. I've just found that XS sights allow me to acquire my targets pretty quickly. How useful are fiber optic sights in a carry gun? Not that I carry (yet).

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

Probably not really well. It's hard to find compromise in a Comp gun and CCW gun. They're great for outdoor shooting, but nothing more than notch and post for low light shooting. The front post also has a tendacy to "snag" as it's pointy.

I should have clarified your "intent" before I got on my soap box. If your "intent" is to get proficient with your carry gun, you should be okay. Give it a run, shoot a few matches and let me know what you think.

You will find within the comp shooting world, there's a distinction between those that shoot to win/compete (called gamers) and those that do so to get proficient for SD. I'm mostly a gamer, nothing wrong at all for doing either. Just realize there is a little inter gaming divide/fued between the two, I think it's stupid, but, just a heads up.

Either case, you will have a ton of fun and trigger time is never bad. Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions. Good luck!

8. THT

Well I'm going to my first match on the 26th to observe. I'm going to take my gear as the match organizer said most people who come to watch end up wanting to shoot. We'll see how it goes as I still need more trigger time w/ my 19 before I feel as comfortably with it as I do the G21 or USPc. At any rate, if I like it, I've found three clubs within reasonable distance that I'll probably join and end up shooting three matches a month :eek3: