Leg press vs Squat

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lilox, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

Ok, I am probably going to adjust my leg day to use the leg press for a few months, what differences are there in muscles targeted between the press and a normal squat.

I know its not as hardcore as a lot of you guys would like but i am building back from a lot knee problems and its important i build strength in my legs in a sensible manner,

I guess the leg press won't target stabiliser muscles as well as a squat, what could i do to compensate for this in the form of other exercises,

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

Learn to squat properly or box squat properly and it would be less traumatic on your knees than the leg press machine. If you squat correctly you will have a neutral or very small positive shin angle, which in turn means little or no shearing forces on the knee.

3. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

4. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

okay,but whats the difference between the two in the way they utilise muscles?

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

One is a true compound exercise, it works the abdominals, erectors, obliques, rhomboids, glutes, hams, adductors, abductors, quads, and calves. It also helps coordination and synergysm. That is a squat.

The leg press is a great tool for isolating the quads or the hamstrings and glutes (depending on back angle and foot position). It allows you to further stress your bigger lower body muscles in an more isolated fashion. This is useful because some people just have bigger stronger quads and hams than their back can support. So instead of working their quads and hams at the weakest point (in this case say the lower back) they are able to fully stress these muscles and stimulate more growth.

The leg press is in no way a substitute for the squat. As an athlete I don't use the leg press much b/c if I can't produce force in a chain then it is useless to me. Most powerlifters don't spend much time with the leg press b/c there is no leg press in competition. If they are weak in an area they will focus and spend training time on that area. This is where the difference comes from. I have never said that the leg press is worthless (unless I was trolling ;) ), but it is not a substitute for squats, more likely it is a supplement to them.

6. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

cheers mate :big grin: thats what I was looking for,

7. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

in lamens...if your looking for explosive power, overall development and more functional strength...squat. If you want that plus the look and more overall shape..use both. If you want a happy medium switch em off week to week. W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.