Leg Press, If I cannot do squats?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by pooshda, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pooshda

pooshda New Member

I currently do not have access to a gym, and I do not have enough free weights to do effective squats at this time (my money is pretty tight at the moment) but I do have a home gym I have had for several years. I am in the process or trying to gain some weight and I have been eating a lot (well 4000+ calories a day which is a lot to me) and things are going pretty well so far, but I have read Squats are the best all around thing I can be doing as far as working out...

Since I do not have access to a gym (at this time) and do not have enough free weights, will doing Leg presses be "the next best thing" considering it is among my current options available to me?

Or should I try body weight squats (ie: tons of them) when I was *cough* in jail a while back people used to "pick-up cards" which was basically squats w/o any weight (because they did not have weights in there) and if you did it enough it would definately get your legs sore as hell, but I wasnt sure how effective that is or if I should just use my leg press that is available to me.

Anyone have any advice on this subject? I am sure I will get a majority of squat supporting replies here but I need to know what my best options are considering I DO NOT have access to a gym w/ free weights at the moment.

:hs:

btw, I do have a barbell and some free weights, but I only have maybe a total of 80-90lbs of weight... and I currently use the barbell for arm curls, its not a quick change barbell so its kind of a pain in the ass to change the weights because I need to use a little wrench to take the rings off each end. When I have some extra cash I am going to invest in a nice curl bar, straight bar, and some of those spin-on weights. I just have a crap set from when I was younger (it's like 12 years old)

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If you don't have a gym, how are you going to use a leg press?

I would use the dumbbells and do squats with those, or yeah, do the bodyweight squats at high reps. It's definitely better than nothing.

3. pooshda

pooshda New Member

I said I have a home-gym... it has a Leg Press station that supports around 460lbs... that is how I am able to do leg presses but not squats.

I just found a decent article on the subject, my initial search of google did not find me anything but I changed my wording around a bit and found this... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shannon1.htm which says Leg Press isnt too bad, although squats definately are the more popular option... leg presses are definately easier since there is really no balance involved and the "coming up" part isnt really an issue... My friends are trying to get me to join the gym with them though, I just do not have an extra $50/mo I can swing right now because I am trying to get thru some crazy bills :o

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

do bulgarian split squats and pistols

5. pooshda

pooshda New Member

Those split squats are definately doable... I just watched a video demonstation of them on bodybuilding.com I can see how those would work, squatting on one leg and all :cool:

Pistols look pretty tricky, I will have to give those a try too... almost looks like a sobriety test, I need to work on my balance anyway lol.

6. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I won't have a squat rack or leg press this summer (but i'll have a juice bar! :ugh: )

Bulgarian squats look like basically just do a 1 legged squat with your back foot on the bench

What's a pistol?

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Oh geez, pwnt by reading too fast :o

8. pooshda

pooshda New Member

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm

I just found that on google myself.. I was not quite sure how to do them either.

9. pooshda

pooshda New Member

I also wish my knees did not "pop" when doing squats or leg presses... it has always happened, back when I did have access to a means of doing squarts they would always pop, and doing leg presses earlier today same thing... its kind of unnerving.

10. onslaught61

onslaught61 OT Supporter

maybe do lunges with the amount of weight you have? you dont need nearly as much weight for squats as you do lunges

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

the exercises i suggested require less weight than lunges

12. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

pistols are a killer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.