GUN lefties... recommend a gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Triad.:, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Triad.:

Triad.: OT Supporter

I went to the range the 1st time today. I tried a glock. The clip release kept hitting my finger. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

On most guns you can change the magazine release and slide release to the other side of teh gun...

3. Triad.:

hehehe.... uh.... i knew that.....

:owned:

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Walther or USP

5. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i'm a left, shoot lefty. Right eye dominate :o

I got a usp 9

The only change i've made is, i switched the external safety to the right side

6. Triad.:

whoa.... weird.... me too :o

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i'm a lefty, left-eye dominant, but i shoot righty out of convenience. i know a local cop that does the same. i also know several officers that are lefty, and use standard weapons. it's just a matter of moving your fingers. with a glock, the middle finger on the left hand is best for hitting the mag release. as far as slide releases go, in a defense situation, you shouldn't be trying to fumble for one. you should be using the slide itself, because your fine motor skills will die first if you ever have to use the pistol defensively, and you'll never hit that slide catch lever, even right handed.

as for how to shoot right with the left eye, some lay their heads over, but i bring the pistol over to my left a little and cant my head just a hair to the right. it works fine for me. i also try to maintain my left-handed shooting too. it's never a bad idea to work on weak handed shooting.

8. Triad.:

I'm talking about while shooting, when the gun recoils, the mag release hits my finger. The sharp angles on that rectangle button hurts my frail fingers :p

shoot right for convience? so you are ambedexterous(sp)?

9. footratfunkface

yeah, after enough shooting with the other side, you gain the ability to shoot well with it. it's just a matter of practice. when i was on the marksmanship team in highschool, i had an injured left knee at the time, so i couldn't get into the kneeling position left-handed. i had to learn to shoot righty for that one position, and i just decided to switch entirely. then when i got into real firearms, i went back to lefty, because i shot better, and could see better with both eyes open. after a while (basically, when i got my AR) i switched over almost completely to righty. i realized, however, that if i ignored my left side, it would fade. so, i try to keep up my left-side shooting a little from time to time.

as far as comfort, it's possible that the mag release was an extended one, in which case it would've stuck out like that. i can't see a standard glock mag release doing that. the extended mag release on my friend's G19 doesn't bother me, and i've never noticed it. i think if you just shoot a pistol enough with the other hand, it starts to become instinctive, where your hands and fingers need to go. for example, on an AK, you learn fast that as a lefty, you don't go sticking your thumb up on the side of the reciever, unless you want it broken off. which nearly happened to me. i broke about half my thumbnail off, and thought i jammed my thumb.

10. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I'm a lefty-by writing, Left-eye dominant, but do everything else with my right hand/side. Catch, throw, shoot. Can be a pain in the ass sometimes with rifles on occasion when you can't get your head low enough to line up the sights because of it's friccin ass pressing up against your cheek.

11. footratfunkface

the only things i do left handed, and have my whole life, are eat, write, shoot, and wipe my ass. everything else is right side. sports, masturbation...righty.

12. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I am a lefty, but I shoot pistols with either hand and only shoot long guns with my right hand.
    Revolvers tend to be more friendly to lefties, the old black powder revolvers were meant to be carried by the left hand.

13. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I eat with my left come to think about it........Wipe my ass with the right though.....Ambijackoff:wink: I can shoot pistols either hand though but mainly right due to reaction, accuracy and just plain convenience