GUN Left the M&P Crew last Friday.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

[Joined the G17 Crew] :wavey:

Traded my well-used M&P in on one of these fine pistols. I got to test it out this weekend, and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I got the factory night sights, which came in handy when a buddy an I had to clear a hunter's cabin. I've shot my dad's before, and I can honestly say he made the right choice the first time. The trigger is way better on the Glock, with a nice defined reset.

The M&P was a solid gun, but the lack of factory night-sites for civilian models, the expensive of getting them on after the fact, and the lackluster performance of the finish makes me think I should have bought the Glock in the first place.

2. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

The M&P is very meh to me..

3. Luciano

Luciano Guest

i also had that choice to make. I went Glock. Incredibly happy with my .40.

4. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

2500 rounds and counting ZERO problems with my M&P 9c. It has fired 2500/2500 rounds

5. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

The M&P, while its a ergonomically nice gun, and it runs. The trigger blows on it.

6. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

My biggest gripe is the trigger reset, I shot my friends, and after shooting a glock/sig/1911, you always wait for that positive "click" you can feel and hear on the reset, with the M&P it's almost non-existent and I dont know how many times I short stroked that trigger.

Otherwise its a really nice gun

7. cantankerously

:werd:

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

so its the new xd now?

lulz

9. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

No, because the XD sucks. The M&P is a good gun, just wish the trigger was a bit better.

10. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

You do know you can get a trigger job done on damn near any gun, right?

:rolleyes: People even do it on Glocks.... ZOMG!

11. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

xd is a good gun. many people say the stock trigger just plain sucks

12. Calhoun Burns

Calhoun Burns ...and the gunslinger followed.

My M&P 9c came with factory-installed Trijicons. Why don't they have them for the full-size?

13. Slick26

LEO only.

14. Calhoun Burns

I wonder why they decided to offer them without condition on the compact but not the full-size?

15. Slick26

Because the compact isn't popular in law enforcement. The full size 9 and 40 are a huge hit though.

16. Calhoun Burns

Still though, I don't get why they wouldn't offer them to civvies. Is it just to make it seem like a perk to LEO's for the "exclusive" factor?

17. cantankerously

Why would i buy a gun if i knew i would immediately have to have trigger job on it? Why not get a Glock or XD in the first place?

18. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

a combat gun should not need a "trigger" job

19. Luciano

Luciano Guest

Im doing mine becasue 5.5 is too heavy. :dunno: It doesnt need it, i just want it.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

A "combat" gun should have a tuned competition ready trigger? It seems like a fine trigger is about the last thing I'd expect from any gun wearing such a title. What type of gun should need a trigger job out of the box?

21. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

No, it shouldnt have a tuned comp ready trigger :ugh:

But it should have a clean trigger, with a clean reset. I don't care if its 4lb or 8lb, if it breaks clean and has a good reset Im perfectly happy with that for a combat gun. The trigger IMO is one of the most important part of a handgun, considering your trigger pull is the most determining factor of where your shots will go :hsugh:

No gun should need a trigger job out of the box, Ive never fired a gun and said "yeah this thing definitely needs a trigger job". But if you shoot competition or just want a better range gun, then yeah a lot of stock guns would need a trigger job.

22. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Other copycats may come and go, but Glock is eternal.

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

I totally disagree with "needing" a trigger job. Maybe there is a "Purist" group I'm just learning about, but every single gun I pick up stock can and will have a trigger job, not because it "has" to, but I do have a certain level of expectancy of performance, and that's full bore the best it's capable of doing.

But again, that is just "my" opinion and how more how I am, I will try and tweak anything and everything I have to make it better if there is a way. I'm a "tinkerer", nothing is ever "good enough" as best as any trigger has come from the factory, I wouldn't be satisified knowing there is better and I don't have it, again, just me.

I don't allow the "stock trigger" to limit my gun selection, otherwise I wouldn't be buying many guns. It's like when I buy cars, I don't buy the car that's on the lot, I buy a vision of what I plan to do to it, in my mind that car is already modified.

I'm just an old car guy. Satisfies my ADD and OCD.

hey Jeri, why dont you come out to an IDPA event and bring your Glock.:) I'll shoot my XD .45 in SSP with you.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Perhaps it comes down to personal expectations. I expect any gun that I've spent like $500 on to feel like it would clearly benefit from a trigger job. I also don't think my standards for what it takes for a trigger to allow central mass shots are that high. To me "combat" gun says you're trading off the finer trigger and fit of other guns for more reliability and durability, its accurate enough. I expect such a gun to be able to greatly benefit from trigger work and probably need it. Ymmv.

25. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm considering the 3.5lb connector for mine. I'm waiting for my father to put his in so I can check it out. The only other things I'm thinking about doing are a metal guide rod and factory tension spring. I was surprised that the guide rod is so cheesy looking on Glocks. I might buy the mariner spring cups for the hell of it too, but I haven't found a place that sells them.