left rear car speaker has new rattle, sound quality still fine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Mar 4, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

I just noticed last week a rattle in my left rear speaker on deep to moderate bass at mid volume. I put all the sound to the rear and switched it back and forth between left and right rear to judge the sound quality between the two. Save for the rattle in the left, the sound quality matches the right.

Have I jiggled the speaker loose? Have I blown the speaker?

Please forgive my audio n00bness.

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Rattle or distortion? If the door actually has rattling going on, it's POSSIBLE the speaker is not secured tightly, but doubtful. Most likely you are going to have to put some sound deadening, similar to dynamat, on that door unless you can find the source of an obvious rattle inside the door where something has come loose.

If it is distorting on low bass, then you'll need to buy a new speaker and not play your music so loudly next time and it would be advised to put a bass filter on your speakers and maybe buy an amp that is more powerful.

3. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im not sure what distortion would sound like.

the speaker is in the rear windshield bay, not in the door. and the rattle wasnt there when i bought the car a couple of months ago

4. veonake

Would sound staticy when hitting hard. It is very possible you have introduced new rattles into the car by playing it loudly, it happens. You don't need rear speakers anyways, so I'd just fade it fully forward :p.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

nope, no staticy yay!

so i wont worry about it then, just wait till i feel like pulling out the back seat to tighten stuff

and once i get back there, what should i do?

6. veonake

Check for loose parts, check to see if maybe the rear deck is rattling against the rear window. See if wires are resting loosely against panels causing little vibrations possibly. But, really, you'll probably need to put sound deadening back there.