Left hand thumb going numb

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Emanon, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Had a problem taking the MSF class with my left hand going numb but thought it was just from having to hold in the clutch so much. I still think that might be the reason as my hand was really sore after the class.

Well today I was riding my Sportster and damn.....my left hand goes numb. It is really my thumb going numb and not the whole hand.

It has been suggested to try gel gloves or different grips to stop the vibration. Now my question is......wouldn't my whole hand go numb if it was the vibration? Why would just my thumb go numb.

Guess I'm asking if any of you guys experienced this and what did you do to fix it.

2. laydback

laydback New Member

cant say that ive ever had issues with my hands going numb.....lately i havent been using gloves tho and to be totally honest wearing gloves is even wierder now

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

question, do you have any neck pain?

I've seen where a person's thumb just goes numb before, it wasn't the hand, it was a pinched nerve in the neck.

usually soreness from clutch grab is an all over soreness.
    gell gloves work somewhat for the palms, may help a bit if it is from vibration.

4. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

No neck pain at all....

I am going to try some gel gloves. The funny thing is when I rode around a bit today with no gloves it took longer to go numb. I think it might be a combination of gripping too tight and the vibrations.

I'm hoping in time I figure something out :big grin:

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

are the gloves tight? are they motorcycle gloves with the curve already formed? You notice a color change in your thumb like it's not getting bloodflow?
    Another thing is diameter of grips too. for some, wider grips are more comfortable (like tourbikes) while for others the narrower grips are better (sportbikes/enduros).

6. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Gloves aren't too tight but am going to try another pair. These are just the light weight padded harley gloves. Going to pick up a pair of leather gel gloves.

Only color change I notice is my hands are spotted. Red and white spotted. Hope that is making sense.

Right in that soft spot in between the thumb and first finger.....that area is still tingleling a bit but getting better. I wonder if I'm pinching something.

Grips I have are the stock Harley Sportster grips right now. I think all Harley's have the thicker grips. Not 100% on that though.

7. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i have this problem on my right hand. ive noticed that i tend to put too much pressure on my hands (IE i lean against the handlebars too much) and if i use my back and the tank to kinda prop myself up, i have no problems. what im figuring is that im cutting off the circulation to my thumb. ive also found that with gloves on (mine are leather and got wet before, so they shrank a little) it happens a lot sooner.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

there's a nerve where your thumb meets your hand, exactly where you'd lean on your hand if you're leaning on your handlebars.

Try moving your handlebars so you're not leaning on your hand. You might have to move them back just a bit so you're not putting pressure on your hand during normal riding.

You can also get a clutch that doesn't take so much pressure to pull the lever. That might help but if your thumb is going numb during normal riding then you're probably leaning on it, even if you dn't think you are.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

that's it......replied before I read this.

that's where the nerve is and you're probably leaning on it. I had to turn my handlebars back may be 1/2" and it got a lot more comfortable.

10. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

I've had a problem where my hands start going numb after long rides. Like other posters, I think I lean on the handles too much. When I try and sit up more, it doesn't happen as much. This is on a sportbike tho, not a harley