GUN left eye dominant ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by raxton, Mar 1, 2009.

1. raxton

raxton .

:eek3: so i have always shot rifles left handed due to being left eye domninant and it felt natural. so i just started shooting pistols at the range and ive come to a conclusion i am much more acurate right handed.

using a glock 40mm i am shooting target at 10ft and almost unable to hit the entire paper.

then shooting right handed i can make a 6 inch cluster.

now im confused it goes against what they say for eye dominace.

what do you guys think

2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Which is your dominant hand?

Have you ever tried shooting rifles right handed?

3. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I'm left handed, no eye dominance problems, I shoot right handed because most guns are made for right handed people, just means shooting off handed I have a nice advantage :bigthumb:

4. raxton

raxton .

thanks for the replys

i am right hand dominant. shooting right handed with rifles feels a little odd.

i just find it odd that with having a dominant left eye all things say i will be more accurate shooting left handed. but the opposite is true using my nondominate eye and right handed im alot better.

5. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

eye dominance isn't very important. Aiming the gun with your hand is very important

6. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

I'm left eye and right hand dominate but i shoot with my right eye.

7. more off

more off Moderator

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

9. jls

jls New Member

im left eye, right hand dominant

i just kinda lay my head on my right shoulder so i can sight with my left eye

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

One of the more famous left eye right hand shooters is brian enos. According to enos the best way is to shoot two eyes open and move the gun over to be more centered over th left eye with a right handed isosceles grip/stance. Once you get your index and sight focus down (will take practice) you will probably be better off than anything else in terms of precision and speed.

You could try putting a small piece of scotch tape on one lens of your shooting glasses. Put it on the opposite lens of the eye you want to favor. You want it so it disrupts the vision of the eye you do not want to favor. This way you get the light gathering of two eyes open (clearer vision), but do not confuse the brain with double vision some people experience with two eye open shooting. If you use a very small piece of tape in just the right spot when your head is in it's normal shooting position (recommend head down slightly), when you lift your head you should be able to see under the tape for normal vision.

My recomendation is to use the tape as training only and work towards teaching your brain to shoot the enos method of indexing the gun to favor your left eye with a right handed iso.

11. raxton

raxton .

great, thanks guys for all the input i will put that enos method to work the next time at the range.

12. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I'll try to make a video to show how I combat this. Basically I do what Yar said with pistols shooting with both eyes open and line my left eye up with the center of my body.

I do have a small piece of tape on my glasses for shooting long guns. When you shoot with both eyes open on a long gun and sight down it, the tape is far enough in that it disrupts your left eye and you focus with your right. I've been shooting that way for 11-12 years now.