Left 4 Dead Custom Maps and SDK now out!

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by XaPU!M, Jul 22, 2009.

1. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Except I don't know how to get them to work. Valve gave everyone the ability to download and play other peoples L4D maps now, and even added a lobby search so you can finally pick your server and see what map it is etc...

Problem is I figured it'd work just like TF2 or any other Valve game basically... and it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong or is there no way to actually download someone elses map in game and join their game?

I know you can just download random maps from the net, throw them in the L4D folder and play them that way, but that seems like a very convoluted and backwards way of doing it.

2. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I think they're in self-extracting, self-installing archives. That's how I got DEATH ABOARD from L4DMods.com ...

3. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

So they do have to be downloaded off the net first? There is no way to see a map you've never played while looking at the server list, and download play it like EVERY other Valve game? Lame :ugh:

4. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Nope.

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=2599

Third party campaigns are designed to be installed using a new Add-On framework. Content authors will be able to package up their new maps, along with new posters, models, and textures, into a single .VPK file. To install and activate this content in-game, players need simply download the .VPK and double click on it. Alternatively, they will be able to drop it into a new "addons" folder. The list of installed add-ons will be viewable from a new item on the 'Extras' main menu flyout.

5. OFI

OFI New Member

In on this. I need to reinstall :eek5: