GUN Lee Autoprime

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Dec 1, 2008.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Guys, I'm looking to order a Lee Autoprime today. It sounds a little like you have to buy special shell holders for this tool but they also sell some that work in the tool as well as presses...?

Does anyone have experience with these? Do I really need to buy a set of shell holders just for this tool or will my existing ones work??

2. According to Midway, they require shellholders that are specific to it, regular shellholders won't work.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

OK. They also sell some that are for use in both the autoprime and reg presses. Since I'm using mostly LEE shellholders as it is I thought I might be able to get away without buying specialty equipment for this thing.

I suppose with it being less than half the price of the RCBS priming tool I can't complain though...

Thanks!

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I have the press-mounted one that uses standard shellholders. It speeds up the reloading process greatly.

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Hand priming is the way to go unless you're using a progressive that will do it. I do most of my priming while watching TV.

6. It really depends on what you want to do with the ammo. If you're reloading bulk pistol/rifle for plinking, then it really doesn't matter how the primer gets in there. Seating depth isn't too important at that point, and I'd probably just go with whatever method is the fastest. If you're reloading rifle rounds for max accuracy, then I'd either use a hand primer or something like the Forster Co-Ax press' priming system. Here you're looking for maximum consistency as far as seating depth goes. The hand press is going to allow you to do that and feel the primer pocket for tightness. The Co-Ax gives up much of the feel of the hand primer, but you get absolute consistency.

You just have to define what your goals are, and then buy equipment to suit them.

7. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I used RCBS press shell holders and ground off the mounting flange to make it fit. :dunno: I had more time than money back in college.