GUN LED upgrade on Maglite

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigboostdsm, Feb 18, 2007.

1. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

My maglite's bulb was dying, so I decided to try out an LED "upgrade" for it. I'll post some comparison pics at the bottom.

The LED light is a blue tint, it's not super bright besides right in the center of the beam. They advertise it to be able to focus, however it's really not. When it's focused out to "flood" it doesn't put a lot of light out. It says it's a pure white light on the package, but it's definetly got a blue tint to it (as seen in pics below).

Apparently, an LED will save battery life and on a 3D maglite like I'm using the battery will last 80 hours compared to 9-10. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The brand I purchased is called "Nite Ize". If your looking for a cheap LED upgrade, this is it. It's really not much of an improvement though. Too bad I can't afford an A2 Aviator :hs:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

2. Chris

Chris New Member

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

The upgrade you got used a 10mm LED, not a lot of light, but very easy on batteries. Just by the LED's nature they are a bit on blue side. A MagLED drop in will be much brighter and focusable, or there are mods that will outperform the MagLED for about the same $$.

4. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I have a Mag 3D with factory 3W LED. I like it a lot. It is brighter than the incan bulb and the longer runtime is a plus.

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I would just get the Maglite upgrade for C/D maglites. Works great, reliable, and has a clever output scheme that both keeps the LED from burning up due to its minimal heatsinking and chops output during extended runtime to conserve battery life (most users won't notice the difference).

6. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I keep this maglite in my truck. It's there mainly for personal protection since I can't carry anything else legally in this state. But I wanted to see what an LED upgrade would be like and I had 10 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I figured what the hell. I don't regret the purchase, but I wish it was a bit brigter.

Here's what I use for when I really need some light :big grin: (15 million candlewatt)

[​IMG]

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

$$?

I'm interested. An LED whose high efficiency LEDs outclass Incans? Sign me up.

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

how much?

10. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I got the cheapo LED upgrade at wal mart for my D cell battery, and was not at all happy with it. I felt that it wasn't nearly as bright as the original bulb, especially at any kind of distance. A single LED bulb simply isn't enough. Now, I have a triple LED upgrade in my mini-mag at work, and it's probably brighter than my D cell with the single LED, I'm happy with that one.

11. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

They need to hurry up and perfect led lighting for home use. That would save an assload of power

12. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Normally 80, got it on sale for half off at sports authority. It's got a rechargable marine battery in it lol. It's a fucking beast. Two light patterns, beam and spread...the beam will light up the inside of a house 100 yards away :cool:

13. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Link to a triple LED for AA maglite? That's what I actually want for carrying.

14. 2L Bunny

If you want a large lantern like that look for the harbor Freight HID Spot light. Similar setup with a 35 watt HID iirc.

15. 2L Bunny

It's made by Niteize. Not very bright, but they run forever. I've got one in my BOB. Walmart usually has them for $5.

16. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Two problems.

1) The LED manufacturing industry is in constant flux, with new more powerful/efficient products being announced almost weekly. This means that the kick-ass LED you invested in 6 months ago is already obsolete and two years from now may no longer be available.

2) Traditional light fixtures are designed to deal with radiated heat fairly well, but do nothing for the heat that LEDs generate and retain. Unless you want forced-air cooling for ~20W worth of LEDs in a screw-base fixture, there's currently no way to go.

As soon as the high-power LED market begins to stablize, I expect that LED household lighting will become a reality with new kinds of fixtures for LEDs. I expect they'll be semi-permanent modules dotted all over a room. Today you might have a room with single fixture with 1-4 screw bases; with LED you might have 6-12 LED clusters spaced across the ceiling. I expect these fixtures to be compact, driven by DC power, and have some provisions for sinking the heat away from the LEDs. They'll be replacable, but since LEDs should last 50,000 - 100,000 hours, they won't be like a regular light fixture.

17. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I already have a large light like that, the one pictured above is mine.

18. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

The one I have for my 3d is a niteize, it's just a single though. They also make a triple one? The one that copperhead was talking about seemed to be a different one.

19. 2L Bunny

That post wasn't directed towards you, but for whoever wanted to know about them.

As to the 3 LED niteize, that's the only 3 LED dropin for Minimags that I'm aware of.

20. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

21. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Get the curly flourescant bulbs. They use 25% of the power of an incandescant bulb of similar brightness.

22. Clusive

I might order a Cree drop in for my 6P. 130 Lumens, 2hr runtime. Any opinions?

23. Clusive