LED TV: What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gandhibrokemyskates, Jan 4, 2010.

1. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

I've been researching on what is everyones stance on LED TV. Is it really worth the extra money? I've been seeing a lot of No, not really. I see that it uses less power than other tvs, but by how much? How much is really the savings?

What are your thoughts? I'll be buying a tv before super bowl.

2. 1fastz28

1fastz28 OT Supporter

i say no, and a hell no at that. first off sure it uses less power but its not like having a plasma or a standard lcd is going to cost hundreds to run a year, the electricty arguement is old and busted. the price of the LED's is still really high, and at the end of the day its just slightly better than a standard LCD, sure its thin (i.e. samsungs/lgs) but who gives a fuck, whats more important picture quality/savings probably are more important to you, then go with plasma. people will call people lcd/plasma sackriders but there is a reason why most high end installers always use panasonic/pioneer tv's because they offer the best picture quality.

3. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I love the Plasmas so much more than anything else. That is the key right there, you need to see what it is that you like the most. I wouldn't even begin to tell you what car to drive, no more that I can tell you what TV to watch. You should also figure out if you like the 120-240Hz Refresh... I now I don't.

4. oakback

oakback New Member

What is the best way to find out what I would like best? Do retail stores usually use HD connections? I want to be sure the demo I'm viewing is the same (or at least close) pictures I'd be viewing at home.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

If you go to a store that specializes in home theater and tell them you are interested in purchasing x and x model but want to demo them they shouldn't have a problem hooking them up anyway you want. But I wouldn't go into Bestbuy and expect them to jump allover the idea.

6. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I can't decide if I like 120, haven't seen a 240 yet. I watched transformers at the store one day in bluray and 120. It almost looked like an independent film or something. It was so real looking it looked unreal. I'm still undecided if I like it or not.

7. oakback

oakback New Member

I was reading about "dejudder", and that when shopping for a new TV, you should decide whether or not you like it, and get a TV that has it as an option rather than a fixed feature.

Does anyone know about what exactly dejudder is? From what I read, it sounds like it makes things smoother, which (to me, anyways) explains why the picture and motions on some of the new TVs look really strange to me.

8. jc_smith

jc_smith New Member

First, hit up avsforum.com and register. Those people know what they're talking about. I wouldn't always judge a TV by the way it looks at the store either. They usually have the brightness and contrast way up, and a TV that doesn't look as good there, could turn out to have the best picture after you take it home and break it in and calibrate it. I personally prefer Plasma's. I have a Panasonic TCP-46S1, and absolutely love it. But if anything, definitely hit up the AVS forum.

9. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

At the end of the day bro, you gotta get out there and watch different TV's, note their specs and make a decision based on what you see. If you don't see a difference between comparable LCD and LED LCD sets then it would be safe to say it's not worth the extra money.

10. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I hate my plasma. It's a fucking oven, I can't watch it more than an hour before it starts cooking me out of the room.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

LED-backlit LCD. Best of both worlds. Uses almost no power to run the LED backlights or the LCD screen, doesn't need to draw idle power to keep the backlights warm like fluorescent-backlit TVs do, and each LED backlight can be brightened or dimmed according to the needs of the section of the picture it's illuminating, so the "black level" of the picture is just as good as with a plasma TV. They're also stupid-thin.

12. raxton

raxton .

haha you should watch schindlers list on it

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's so fucked up it's actually kinda funny.