MMA Leben / Swick is OFF

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I was actually looking foreward to it. :mad:

http://www.ufcjunkie.com/

What was supposed to be a UFC Fight Night 11 main event between Mike Swick (10-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) and Chris Leben (16-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) will likely be scratched from the Sept. 19 fight card.

Swick, a cast member from The Ultimate Fighter 1, spoke exclusively to UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com) yesterday evening about the unfortunate turn of events.

“He backed out,” Swick said. “He didn’t take it. It kind of sucks with how tough he talks about fighting anyone, anywhere. He kept saying we could rematch anytime.“

The Swick vs. Leben fight was supposed to be a rematch three-and-a-half years in the making. During a January 2004 WEC event, Leben landed a second-round knockout punch that dropped Swick and halted the bout. Leben continually reminded Swick and the other castmates of that victory during the taping of The Ultimate Fighter 1, and the otherwise composed Swick angrily vowed to avenge the loss.

After the show, though, both fighters went their own ways. Swick emerged as a top 185-pound fighter and soon earned the nickname “Quick” for his lightning-fast knockout victories. Leben, too, experienced a large amount of success as a hard-hitting, tough-as-nails fighter before eventually losing three of his past four fights.

With both fighters coming off losses and The Ultimate Fighter 6 debut approaching, the UFC finally put the fight together to capitalize on a TUF-friendly crowd.

During the weekend of UFC 73, UFCjunkie.com announced that the fight officially had been offered to the two fighters and was expected to take place.

“There’s no better time than now,” Swick said. “It would have been perfect. How can you pass up that exposure from a main event? The UFC is getting crazy numbers on Spike right now. I’ve been asked about the rematch for three years. Spike wanted [the fight], the UFC wanted it, and the fans wanted it. It’s disrespectful to back out now.“

After his loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 69 — a fight in which he suffered from a noticeable size disadvantage — Swick announced his intentions of moving from 185 pounds down to 170.

After the fight with Leben was offered by the UFC, Swick wasn’t too concerned that Leben hadn’t officially accepted it. After all, Leben had also mentioned the possibility of moving down to 170. Regardless, though, it wasn’t mandatory for the fight.

“I wanted the fight — whether it was at 170 (pounds), 185 or a catch-weight — so it didn’t matter to me,” Swick said. “I figured that’s what Leben was waiting to decide. I thought he was worried about the weight cut. It never crossed my mind he wouldn’t take the fight at all.“

A message that UFCjunkie.com left with Leben’s management yesterday evening hasn’t been returned.

Swick said the UFC still plans to keep him on the televised portion of the UFC Fight Night 11 event, but with the grudge match no longer part of the deal, he knows that he may no longer be featured in the night’s main event.

The UFC is on the search for a new opponent.

“What it comes down to is that [Leben’s] got a win over me, and he’s been blabbing about it since the show,” said Swick. “(At UFC Fight Night 11), I would get to take that away from him. I don’t think he wants to gamble. It’s a cheap move. And he can’t give me the respect to let me avenge that loss? All that talk he talks, and this is how it goes? I think he lost that warrior spirit.“

UFC Fight Night 11 takes place at The Palms Las Vegas and airs on Spike TV. With the Leben vs. Swick fight now apparently dead, a fight between Spencer Fisher and Din Thomas is the most likely alternative to earn top billing at the event.

For the latest UFC Fight Night 11 fight card, check out the UFC Rumors section of UFCjunkie.com.

2. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Fuck Leben. I can't wait for the UFC to cancel his contract so we don't have to see him anymore.

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

b-b-b-but how else could he fund the murals that are his tattoos?

4. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

:roflw:

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

damn it and i just asked when the fuck are they going to have this match a couple of weeks ago cuz i want to see it and this fag bag decides to back out. fuck him streight in the ear for getting in the middle of my fight enjoyment. fuck him

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Wasnt Leben supposed to be leaving the UFC and take over the ICON gym?

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

When did Leben actually win last?

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

when were either of them main event material?

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

UFN

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

again, when were these guys ever main event material?

Leben is minor league material and Swick could only hope to be a gatekeeper. No point in making either a main event fighter.

They should bring Lister back to fight one of them.

11. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

neither is main event material, but they are known from the ultimate fighter and for a free show thats about all you need

12. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

fuck this i want to see this fight damn it im getting on the myspace

13. drakkon

drakkon Member

Apparently Swick is fighting Jonathan Goulet now. He called out Swick on a forum. :rofl:

14. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I saw the callout, then read today the fight is gonna happen and :rofl:'d.

15. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Is Swick fighting at 170?

16. drakkon

drakkon Member

Ya he announced that he was moving down after the Okami fight.

17. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I didn't know if that was gonna happen or not though. What was he going to fight Leben at?

18. drakkon

drakkon Member

According to UFC junkie he just wanted to fight Leben and didn't care what weight.

19. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

link to call out

20. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

sums it up perfectly, fuck leben

21. RMarks

RMarks New Member

At least the UFN won't be a complete loss as long as this is the card shown on tv. I'm so happy Alves is back

• Spencer Fisher vs. Din Thomas
    • Mike Swick vs. TBA
    • Junior Assuncao vs, Nate Diaz
    • Thiago Alves vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka

22. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

the chute boxe camp needs to kidnap lister and force feed him striking skills clockwork orange style.

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

He has an amazing striking coach. I don't think striking will ever be his thing. I think he needs a solid coach that can help him with a game plan to get fights to the ground more.

24. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

agreed, i think thats the problem alot of guys are having and have been having. they dont know how to make a good game plan to win there fights and then if they do they dont know how to prepare for it or stick to their game plan. the only person I can think of off hand is randy couture who is successfull at doing it. there are many others though but its really what seperates the real good fighters with the normal guys