SRS Leaving the lights on

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by swerdna, Aug 7, 2008.

1. swerdna

swerdna New Member

I am living with 3 other girls in a house for the next year. None of these girls have ever had to pay any bills (they lived in dorms). I, on the other hand, have lived on my own and am used to paying bills.

I have already noticed the annoying habit of them leaving the lights on while they are not in a room and leaving them on after they go to work. They just don't understand that electricity costs money!

Here's my options:
    1) Let them continue to do this until we get the first month's electricity bill (split it 4 ways), but thereby screw myself to teach them a lesson.
    2) Come up with some retribution mechanism like every time you leave a light on you have to put some amount of money in a jar that will go to the electricity bill -- but how do you enforce this? What amount of money is appropriate?
    3) Suck it up
    4) Go ballistic on them

Any advice?

2. Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham New Member

Just tell them to be more careful about leaving lights off when they aren't in use.

My roommates used to do this all of the time, only it also included leaving TVs on, stereos on, etc.

I said something one day, and they don't leave appliance on anymore, only in rare occasions.

3. Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham New Member

But yeah, I used to go downstairs late at night and every freaking light would be on and the TV would be on. Noone would be downstairs though. :mad:

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Put in small LED bulbs that use only 1-4w of power. When the bitch and moan, let them know the bright ones can go back in as soon as they stop leaving them on.

Put timers on the lights. Twist timers are pretty cheap, and can go for up to 60 min. If they fail to touch it inside of an hour, it automatically goes out. Automatic ones will trip on a motion sensor, and can be set from a few seconds to up to 20 minutes or more. All you have to do is wave at it and it'll turn back on.

The idea would be to annoy these bitches into submission, but it's not YOU doing it, it's the device (and their failure to act appropriately, which is the cause for the dim light, light turning off by itself, etc). It's far better than just ranting and raving, will definately save money, and might actually produce some positive results.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

moved: this is about relationships, not lights.

and btw, remind them to turn them off but "suck it up" is going to end up being the answer.

6. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Just talk to them.. that should always be the first step

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Umm, how about sit them all down and discuss this issue like an adult?

8. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

you can ask them to please turn off the lights, and you can show them how damn expensive the electric bill will be, but if they dont change their habits, you are just going to have to suck it up. its the wonderful part about having roommates

my old roomie would leave her sink faucet on and would leave the shower dripping every day. our water bill was outrageous, but she didnt seem to care. it was like just laziness and she didnt feel like turning off the water. instead of ending a friendship over it, i sucked it up until the end of the lease and then moved out on my own. my water bill now is like 20% of what it was

9. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I like option #1 a lot, but it could backfire.
    I mean, if they are like, 'I am living with you so I can be RICH' then they might not give a shit about the bill when you show it to them.
    Maybe offer a compromise, say to them that you will give them 1 month where they can do whatever they want with the electricity, then you get a month where they must follow your rules followed by a meeting where you will show them the difference in the electric bills?

Personaly, if you got someone who just isn't in the habit of turning out the lights then you might be in for an uphill fight. You are asking them to change the way they have behaved since they were little.

Orrrrr.......

How about this:
    offer them that if they want to live that way they can - but you guys will split the bills in a different manner. Maybe you can pick up the cable bill, and they can pick up the electricity bill?
    Be cool about it. The trick is to compromise and remember a compromise is a solution where EVERYONE is happy with the outcome.

10. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

:werd:

Stop with the bullshit. Just be an adult about it and go look, turn the lights off, we are in this together so let's save some money here.

11. WGD87

WGD87 New Member

My old roommate would leave the TV on all the time when she got stressed out. Sometimes it would end up the TV and all the lights in the kitchen. We split the electricity bill two ways. I would usually just suck it up and go turn it all off. It was annoying but it only took a matter of seconds to do it and it did save me money. I am guessing pointing fingers with the electricity jar will just cause problems. There were some helpful tips as to reducing the electricity bills. Maybe have everyone invest money into timers or energy saving light bulbs?? In all honesty... Once you buy all of that stuff, depending on how severe the situation and how long you are going to live there, it might not have a whole lot of point..
    Talk to them about it. Maybe give it a month or so of friendly reminding. If it doesn't change you might have to suck it up in order to have a pleasant room mate experience... There is nothing like pissing someone way off you have to live with.

12. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

:rofl: are you serious??

timers use up more electricity than leaving the light on

13. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

Talk to them first as in before the bills come.

For all you know these girls are having mommy and daddy send them rent checks. In which case you're screwed. Until people have to pay for all their shit on their own, they rarely appreciate and respect rules.

So, sit down and talk to them like an adult.

14. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Light bulbs don't require all that much energy, but TV's and computers do.

Check out this link to calculate just how much each energy drain in your house costs you every day

http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html

Mine comes out to $110/mo with the showers costing the most money. That's pretty accurate.

You can also save money by changing how the lawn is watered. I water mine for 15 minutes every other day at 3:30am. This gives me a full 90 mins of watering (6 stations) before the sun comes up, the prime time for watering the lawn to prevent disease and evaporation. That's an hour of watering a week and 10 minutes less than what we were doing previously.