MMA leaving the ego at the door... as easy as it sounds?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, May 2, 2007.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Any of you guys ever get overly upset (even if you don't display it physically) when you lose? almost like you just failed the most important test of your life when it really was just some stupid training match?

I always tell myself that if I don't tap in training then I am playing too tight but there definitely have been times when I have just felt downright pissed off when I lose to someone bigger. I guess the right way to approach it is always staying humble, and remembering the first few weeks/months of your training and keeping that mentality always. Yeah... its late and I was bored :hs:

2. Sylva

Sylva New Member

One of my trainning partners is like that, moreso in the standup department. He always like to try and claim that his cardio and striking is better than mine. But in reality it's not, so he starts swinging for the fences and then gets lit up and gets down right fuckin mad. It's ridiculous. I always try and keep my cool and I always seem to come out ahead. Level heads usually prevail.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I think when it comes down to it, everybody wants recognition whether they admit to it or not. But when you go to class with a sense of entitlement, your mental state is not good for improvement. Recognition should just come naturally, and training should just remain friendly.

4. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Totally agreed, I think he acts like what you just described. It gets old quickly.

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

it def can be, there's a few people in the club i hate losing to and who i have personal goals of beating every time we randori. i usualy just have to remind myself he's my teammate, and i need to learn from him, not beat him.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

There is one guy that I train with that I just feel the need to beat. He used to be really cocky(and not that good) but now he is good and not that cocky. But I still feel like I / have/ to beat him.

And if I don't I am upset(dont show it). But every class we roll and we roll hard. And if I lose I find my self coming up with excuses as to why(esspeically to my girlfriend, I'm sure she doesn't care but shes the one that gets the un-edited version of how I feel about crap). And when I win I'm all pumped(I win more than I lose. hes still a white belt, but close to blue).

And to some extent I'm like that with other people, just not as bad.

So yea, I understand what your talk ing about.

But then again, I'm a cockey guy.

Where someone like Chechen(purple belt) will say that he still sucks, I'm a low/low-mid blue and I think I could figure out a way to sub Gomi :dunno:

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

there can't be 2 sheriffs in town :mamoru:

8. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

We have a guy at our gym that sorts out the egos he is a smaller guy I think he wrestles at around 75kg or 160lbs. He is an Australian rep freestyle wrestler and fairly high in the greco standings too. He is very quiet and unassuming so any time someone comes in with an attitude or an ego he is paired up with Steve who demolishes them. Im a lot bigger (over 100lbs) then him and fairly strong for my size also have a background in rugby union and he without fail will take me down everytime we wrestle.

9. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Some people have a problem getting caught by a person that isnt as advanced as them, like they should never lose to that person. There is a good blue belt at my gym that has a lot of MMA fights under his belt, not to mention outweighing me by 30+, and despite being the nicest dude in the world, I feel like he thinks I should lose every time we roll. Over the past year his BJJ hasnt really improved and mine has progressed exponentially. Sometimes Ill catch him with something and he holds out like its a tourney, to the point where im afraid Im going to hurt him. Maybe he just likes to train hard, I dont know.

Personally I have no problem losing to a superior gameplan or tactic. I get pissed when I do something stupid and it causes me to look bad.

10. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I sometimes get upset when I keep getting tapped out fast as hell at open mat days (usually the only ones that show up are purple belts and higher) but I know that it just takes time and that someday I will be the one tapping people quick

11. Sylva

Sylva New Member

For those that saw my previous post in this thead, that trainning parter is today, complaing about being hit hard last nigt. Where I train we have a pretty simple rule. You get what you give, he was swinging for the fences so he got it in return. Maybe now he'll calm down, but that is doubtful.