MIL Leaving for Field Training

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FalconXtreme, Jun 21, 2006.

1. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

well guys i'll see you back here in 30 days. i'm leaving 2morrow morning for af rotc field training at tyndall afb. should be fun. i'll ttyl

2. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

dont be hatin

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

humidity > you

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Man, its so much easier now, than when I went through.

enjoy your 341's. Now, take a 341.

Please, self eliminate -- makes more room for the rest of us. Thanks ;)

Good luck. Remember, its all a mind game. those people who you will plot to kill are real nice after its all said and done. Unlike tips for basic, you want to stand out as a leader there, without being an attention whore. They want you to and are looking for you to think, analyze, and ask questions.

5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

:rofl:

6. ManinCamo

I hope they get hardcore again.

The year I went through it was quite difficult. Prior E guys were comparing basic and FT, and FT was winning out on teh hardcore meter.

The next year, they lightened up. They lightened up wayyy too much. No physical discipline, no yelling, stuff like that. I talked to buddies of mine that went back as trainers that year -- it was a joke. Its been a few years - I hope they're hardcore again.

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

With AF basic getting changed to more resemble Army basic, I would hope they would do the same with ROTC.

On another note, no matter how hard I try I just can not get over my instant dislike of anyone walking around on base with a ROTC uniform. :mad:

8. ManinCamo

ROTC uniform is a standard uniform w/cadet rank :dunno:

Your dislike is probably based on negative experiences with cadets that think "Cadet Captain" rank means they're actually a captain and forget that they are nothing, nobody, no rank. I knew I was nothing, nobody and had no rank.

I don't blame you though.

9. Ranger-AO

That's it right there. And the fact that they can bump active duty out of training slots. Who the fuck thought up that fucking insane rule? :ugh2:

10. ManinCamo

What training slots?

I never participated in any training as a cadet that was interchangable with active duty.

11. shiba

shiba Active Member

good luck to you, I'm leaving for ft. lewis myself tomorrow morning for army rotc LDAC.

12. Jyokker

Panama City mall blows.

13. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

i leave for advanced camp tomorrow with ROTC :noes:

14. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

it's extremely rare. i'm guessing you're referring to airborne slots and the like. i knew a few AF cadets who went to army airborne before their senior year, but they went through a very selective process to get the slot, and for most of them it was going to be pertinent to their career choice somehow (security forces, etc). it's not a "hey, here go to airborne and steal a soldiers' slot" type of thing. it's very very competitive and those that go are usually at the top of their class, especially in PT.

15. SweetDaddyO

oh, and i went to tyndall for FT. the heat/humidity absolutely blows, and you'll probably sprain an ankle trying to march around the damn place, but it's a good experience overall. just don't get too frustrated with the handful of dipshits in your flight.

16. burton564

burton564 New Member

I need to get in a unit where i don't need to salute cadets anymore(unit policy). maybe one where i can choke them out when they get all arrogant. i'm with ranger on this one. A cadet once told me i could call him sir and not cadet, and i straight up told him i'll call him sir when he fucking earns it. i ended up getting my ass chewed. therefore my dislike of cadets continues forever.

17. Ranger-AO

But the fact remains, the active duty guys need that training to perform their jobs, qualify for deployment, advance in rank, etc. The ROTC guys could take that slot and then turn around and say "no thank you very much - I think I'll go be something else when I grow up".

And number 2: they are college students. Taking a slot that a soldier could use.

C: I will have to be specifically ordered to salute a college student before it will happen. In the meantime, it's just not going to happen. They can just work on earning the respect now - without the rank, before they actually start wearing the gold/silver that demands respect whether it's earned or not.

18. Jyokker

OMG you are kidding me. You have to salute CADETS?

19. SweetDaddyO

cadets (in AFROTC) don't rank salutes. i don't know where that myth comes from. they made is crystal clear to us that our rank was monopoly rank, intended for the purpose of teaching us rank structure - the only people who saluted cadets were other (junior) cadets. whenever we would go on base we were told not even to salute each other.

second of all, everyone i know who went to airborne ended up commissioning and placing into a job where that particular skill was at least beneficial, if not necessary. just because they are "college students" doesn't mean they shouldn't have the opportunity to attend professional development and other skill training programs - at the time they went to the school they had already "signed on the line" and committed at least 4 years to the air force.

as far as i know, the AF is alotted a specific amount of airborne slots each year. what they do with them is, and should be, up to the air force.

20. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

i dont even salute our own senior cadets :ugh:
    and i didnt salute cadets when i was an E-1
    As for the school slots and shit, i hate that crap cause it becomes so politcal sometimes. You dont even get paid for going. What if i break my leg at airborne, prob wouldnt get disability from it :Greddy:
    fuck that, ill do all those things when im out of college again
    i swear if someone enlisted ever saluted me id shit myself. I guess my NG unit is already used to us low speed cadets hanging around

21. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Have fun I guess:hsugh:

22. burton564

burton564 New Member

according to the boss, a cadet still outranks me therefore is warranted a salute.

23. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I know from rooming with a cadet at airborne school that they can't go (as army anyways) unless they're already contracted (junior's and seniors have already signed away their life). Plus when they got to airborne school they were held to the same standards as everyone else, which makes it harder for them to hang with real soldiers. I remember the day I waved goodbye to the roommate. He was scared of how he was gonna explain it to his classmates. Not that I made it through or anything... But I still wear a maroon beret.

24. burton564

burton564 New Member

i've never been to jump school, never been offered a chance to go, and i wear a maroon beret. Uniformity is the key in the army.

25. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

Huh??? Are you SF Support or something?