MIL Leaving for AF basic next month...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wrc_passion, Jun 3, 2005.

1. wrc_passion

wrc_passion Guest

Hey guys, I'm leaving for AF basic next month. Just wonderin what is to be expected once I get there. I'm not to nervous. Pretty excited since my life is about to start. I've been working out 4 days a week since the beginning of the year trying to get ready. I know the training is pussy training compared to the other branches, but I just rather be more than ready.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You won't have any problems if you do what you're told as quickly as possible. They will try to fuck with your head, but just imagine your mother bitching at you because your room is dirty and you get the picture.

You'll do fine. Air Force basic is a breeze. (been there, done that, was disappointed)

3. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

Just pick a brick and stare at it the whole time.... youll know what im talking about when you get to your training squadron.

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Just remember that it'll all be over soon. Just be a robot, get through it, don't fight the system. Conform to what to T

don't call you TI's a "Drill Sgt"

realize they will yell at you b/c they want to, even if you didn't do anything wrong - you did something wrong

bring along a ruler.

bring a shoe polish kit, complete with lighter, and cotton balls

bring a phone card, stamps and other letter writing materials.

bring nice new sharp nail clippers to clip the loose strings on your uniform.

bring a quick polish sponge for last minute notice inspections.

bring a sticky hair roller thing .

the only stuff you'll be doing physically are flutter kicks, pushups, and running. focus on that stuff, don't worry about the weights.

5. Larry Lex

Larry Lex New Member

You got the wrong mindset... too many people go in there thinking it's boy scout camp and then they get shell-shocked once a TI gets in their face. Don't expect it to be easy or hard, go in prepared, know the marching basics and your reporting statement, and you'll be done in no time.

I'm discharged to the IRR now but I recently revisited lackland for a voluntary push/pull exercise and they gave us a briefing to update us on the current AF culture. It's changed a lot since I went through b/c of the TCN duty in iraq and such - I believe it's longer now, they do a lot more PT, more field training, more "army." Of course it still doesn't compare to other services, but it's changed quite a bit from my experience.

6. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

they'll give him an opportunity to buy that stuff on like the 3rd day.

take an electric shaver. nothing sucks more than being rushed to shave and leave huge gashes on your neck and face. seen a lot of dumbasses get rushed to medical because they cut too deep.

other than that yea just do what you're told. say your proper reporting statement and get on with your day. its all a mind fuck made to weed out the weaker.

7. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

8. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

:ugh:

mile and a half, abdominal circumference, push ups, and sit ups. (did mine today)

9. C5Load

nah, when the weekenders talk, i kinda zone out :rofl:

10. wrc_passion

wrc_passion Guest

Yeah, I know all those tricks from JROTC. I don't particularly like the ignition of shoe polish trick though. It wears out your oxford's quicker, plus we had one guy acidently catch his appartment on fire.

I need to start running a little bit more than I have been. I usually run around the city park every Tuesday at a pretty steady jog for about 15 min. Been working on pushups. I know my drill pretty well. Need to brush up on it since it's been over a year since I was on drill. I didn't know you were allowed to have electric razors in basic. Was gonna leave mine behind and besides it doesn't shave close really well. Anyone know of any good reasonable brands, besides Remington?

BTW, thanks for all your support and for the warm welcome to OT.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2005
  11. nianguaus

nianguaus Guest

Anything else?

12. C5Load

:mamoru: reservists

and to the thread starter... don't bring a lighter. don't think those are allowed.

13. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Don't bring a shaving cream can that's gel, they squirt out a little a few hours after you use them and you'll fail inspections. If possible, try shaving with the liquid soap in the bathroom.

14. Ranger-AO

Good advice.

I brought disposable razors so I could always have a clean one for inspections. It worked for the first week, and then my TI told me to get a real razor or he would rip my locker apart. :hs: To this day, well over 25 years after I went through basic training, I always rinse out the nozzle of my shaving cream after I use it. :mamoru:

15. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

:ugh:

16. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

When my dad went through Air Force basic in the 60s he used an electric shaver.

17. C5Load

only problem is that those can be a bitch to clean out... and you can get in trouble for having ANY hairs in there.

18. insomnia

insomnia New Member

:confused:

We weren't allowed to have electric razors :dunno:

19. MigNiggle

MigNiggle New Member

just think of it as the TI's yelling at all of you because its their job, thats the mindset i had going in and it helped me i guess....and get an electrical shaver, much faster then using a razor and cream......keep a regular razor out for display and keep a battery powered shaver in your personal tray thats on top of your security drawer and you'll be coo, u wont have to worry about hairs in that cause your TI cant look in your personal tray thing....

20. Ranger-AO

Huh?! :ugh:

This was absolutely not true when I was in basic.

21. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

as with ours. they can and will look into your personal shit.

22. wrc_passion

wrc_passion Guest

I thought this article came in handy too...

Surviving AFBMT

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm starting to feel a little more prepared than I have been.

BTW, is it common to feel naucious about going into basic?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2005
  23. Ranger-AO

The nausea is a stress symptom from spending too long in "fight or flight" mode. Force yourself to look farther down the timeline. Force yourself to understand that this is NOT a train that is going to run you over - it's a sometimes uncomfortable, but extremely rewarding experience that you will look back on for the rest of your life.

You are going to be just fine. Do what you are told, as quickly and as well as you can, and you won't have anything to worry about. :wiggle:

24. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

At AF Field Training (basic for officers, fyi)

We had a drawer with a lock on it for our personal drawer, same lockers you'll use at BMT.

I'm not sure of the setup you guys will use, but for us it was back half personal, front half was toothbrush and stuff. They would make sure our personal stuff was neat orderly, but wouldn't look through it specifically. Now, I had two "shoebox" sized rubbermaid containers from walmart. They were stacked up on top of each other, and as such, everything looked neat and orderly. they would NOT open the containers up to look in them, not that they couldn't have, but they didn't.

25. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

Just remember...they yell because deep down they care :big grin: