Leather vs. Textile Gear

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by machine81, Oct 19, 2005.

1. machine81

machine81 New Member

I must confess that I've never owned riding gear before. I always ride with a helmet, but I've never had a specialty jacket or pants.

I just recently moved to Seattle. It rains here :hsugh: Obviously leather protects better than textile, but how easy is it to take care of? Do I need to treat the leather before I use it? Do I have to let it dry out over night if it gets wet? What are all the hassles associated with leather? Is textile a better choice in my climate?

2. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

I think you can check on the leather you buy, you might be able to get some leather water repellent spray, like the stuff they sell for shoes or boots. I never done a seach for, you should try it.

3. V!

V! New Member

I would personally vote for a textile jacket since they hold up to rain more

4. machine81

machine81 New Member

I know it's hard to quantify, but how much protection am I giving up by going with textile instead of leather? Do you get more roadrash with textile? Does leather naturally have a little more padding/give to it?

5. dhacmbs

dhacmbs OT Supporter

i dont think you should worry about your gear getting wet unless you want to ride in the rain

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

It's Seattle. People are used to the rain. It doesn't deter anyone from riding here. I definitely plan on getting wet.

7. rider

rider New Member

I'd probably go with textile. If leather gets really soaked through, it'll take more than one night to dry. When my friends wash their suits, it takes them about 4 weeks to dry completely.

8. V!

V! New Member

:werd:

Leather doesn't easily dry

9. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

leather jacket + rain = teh lose....

mine soaked up a good few pounds of water and it took a week to dry out

10. Frequency

Frequency New Member

textile will hold up in a crash but it will be a 1 time only type deal where leather you could scrape once or twice w/o it being a HUGE issues textile down and down in most cases, my vote is for textile though

11. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Go with textile and get an aerostitch suit for riding up here. You'll be set.

(i want an aerostitch suit too)

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Textile is just fine although leather is better.

Just remember that in any crash, you stand a good chance of having to replace gear. If you really want leather, you can always invest in some rain gear to go over it.

Water has this uncanny ability to soak in regardless of rain gear (at least on a bike)

I'd go textile.

13. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

If you live in Seattle, wear what the WA state police do. Aerostich suits. :cool:

14. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

They wish they wore aerostitch suits... Almost all of the cops around here where shit for gear. :ugh:

15. machine81

machine81 New Member

I just checked it out. That Aerostitch stuff is fooking spendy.

16. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Yeah it is. But it's awesome gear. I want a suit to commute in and that fits the bill perfectly. Once you buy it, I doubt you'll wear your other stuff as often.

17. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

you can get leather waterproofing if you are planning on getting wet. they sell that crapp all over the place. try wilsons leather or other leather specialty shops.

hell a harley dealer will prolly be able to tell you anything you need to know about waterproof leathers.

textiles are obviously better if you are planning to get wet and are really worried about it. however i hate textile jackets. i wear full leather to ride. ive gotten wet before and it was fine. my leathers are water resistant naturally anyway becasue of the tanning and treatment process just to make the jacket anyway. it would soak up water in a good rain but everday sprinkles or rain bursts didn't soak in at all.

shop around research it and find whats best for you. thats the best i can say. id still stick with leathers if i was in your position..id just get it water treated. its up to you though.

18. ecofire

ecofire Member

If it's leather, then might want to let it dry over a couple because leather takes forever to dry.