Leather restoration

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by mrmephistopheles, Sep 30, 2002.

1. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

I have a pair of leather seats I recently bought and installed in my car (they're from a later model 240sx, but bolt right into my '91).
    Now to my point: They sat uncared-for for about 3 years, no conditioner, nothing. They were exposed to the sun and allowed to harden.

I have Meguiars Gold Class rich leather cleaner/conditioner. I've used it on the seats once so far with decent results..
    My question is this: Is mink oil a viable solution to help soften the leather? I have some mink oil and saddle soap which I was thinking about clenaing and conditiong the seats with..
    If not, should I just continue using the Gold Class until they soften?

2. bmf

bmf Guest

This sounds pretty tough. My suggestion would be to try most anything as they can't get much worse. I like the saddle soap idea much more than mink oil.

Also consider this stuff:

Leatherique - www.leatherique.com

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Worth a try if the other ideas don't work out for you.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The main thing is to clean them completely so there is no dirt in the way of the conditioner. I use a mixture of Woolite (the laundry soap) and water mixed 6:1 in a spray bottle. Works great and it gentle on the leather. Cadillac used to recommend it on the little tag on the back of their leather seats (now they just say to use a mild soap and water), and the local Lexus/Mercedes dealer also says to use Woolite and water. A good retail premixed cleaner should be good also.

Spray the seats down real good-it's okay to get them wet. Use a stiff plastic bristle brush to clean the dirt out of the cracks and crevices and then wipe dry with a clean towel.

Once the seats are really clean, they should soften up a lot. I will say that Nissan and Infiniti don't use real soft leather like Lexus does though. I would stick with an automotive specific leather conditioner since they soak in quickly and don't leave the seats slick and slippery.

4. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

Thanks for the replies.. I did see that woolite mixture you mentioned in the products list thread. I'll also try some saddle soap before I go ahead with the mink oil, but after the mink oil, I'll see quite how soft it got, and then maybe go with the woolite. I agree with Scott in that Nissan/Infiniti leather isn't the softest out there to begin with.. (for my seats at least, it also has to do with the padding underneath.. a friend put some leather covers on the foam from a cloth seat and they're rather comfy.