WEB Learning Web Design- n00b questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Redsand187, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

Alright, I'm fairly clueless about this stuff, and I know it's a big undertaking...

I do a little bit of PR stuff for some smaller bands and musicians. The main one I deal with has a lousy website that hasn't really been updated in years. One of the members is also seeking to create a personal site showcasing all of his work as a hired gun.

For years I have pondered creating sites for various projects, but never really got around it other then messing with some templates.

I think now is the time, especially, since I have more free time going back to school to actually learn how to create a website.

How did you guys learn, and what do you recommend?

I'd really like to take classes, but my school doesn't really offer anything. I have found it frustrating just googling code for what I want. I'd rather just learn how everything actually works.

Are there any good book/tutorials worth buying?

I'm not looking to create anything super crazy. I'm thinking along the lines of www.pearljam.com www.metallica.com www.6767.com www.u2.com/index/home
    Most of the sites are pretty straight forward and all share a similar layout, but they are stylized differently. Like I said, I'm pretty clueless to what everything actually is. I don't think these are all basic HTML designs, but they obviously aren't over the top flash sites either.

Anybody care to point me in the right direction?

2. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

:hsugh:

You're right in one sense, they're not just static HTML.

If you really want to get to sites like those eventually, i'd probably suggest you start playing with Drupal...

I'm not someone who uses books to learn, so I can't recommend anything.. but places to start are:

http://drupal.org/handbooks

http://tutsplus.com/

http://www.w3schools.com/

3. TrenT

TrenT OT Supporter

I started by reading the first 3-4 chapters of any web development book I could find. I may not know how to do everything yet, but at least it gave me a broad sense of the technologies out there and what they're used for. It was a good primer before digging into learning the code.

4. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Dont use drupal. learn a real programming language and do your own shit.

5. Browning

Browning Active Member

Pearl Jam ftw