A&P learning the features.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by julia!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. julia!

julia! New Member

Basically here is my question. I am pursuing photography/art for my career. I have a good foundation I feel and am doing well so far with it but my main hold up is I dont really understand the terms/features and being that I am not in college I havent really have any opportunities to take a course on it. Most of the fellow photogrpahers I know use cannon and I use Nikon so it doesnt really work to ask them becaue they dont understand my camera and I dont understan theirs. I am not so good at reading things and understanding them so much as seeing them done and understanding on a much higher level. I come in this board a lot and i try to make sense of things and it just goes right over my head. So my question is where did you learn these things and which settings to use etc. I ordered a book today and I am hoping that will help but I really feel like I am going to need something more concrete. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

First off WELCOME TO OTAP and my answer is read the manual, and try what you read from the manual, adjust, shoot, adjust shoot, it'll be annoying but it works :) etc.... So here goes more

What kind of camera do you have? Are you sure this is 100% what you want to do? Examples of your work?

I'll stop that one right there, if you feel you have a good foundation and that you are doing well but do not understand features of your camera or the terms associated then I will say it and I'm sure others will too, you do NOT have a good foundation and are NOT doing well.

You dont need college to take a course on photography, Find your local wolf/ritz camera they have classes that they usually suggest and groups that get together also search your local classifieds and paper for photography interests groups in your area.

Incorrect and this was immediately what made me think you DONT have a good base when I first read your post, first off CANON and Nikon both have Manual settings, both have basics that are the same with ALL cameras, ASK ASK ASK ASK ASK!!!!

[quote[
    I am not so good at reading things and understanding them so much as seeing them done and understanding on a much higher level.[/quote]

While I don't condone you being a hands on person, you will have to to eventually be in a situation where you will have to read something to comprehend what you are doing, you can't fully be led by hand through 100% of your photography trials/career. You'll never learn.

I'd suggest going back to the FAQ Stickies and reading it 11ty billion times

everyone will probably shoot a subject at a different setting and so on, I learned by trial and tribulation and I willbe doing to school for it as well (mostly for the indoor lighting portion) etc.

I really don't understand, you said you have problems at comprehending what you read yet, you're wanting the book to show you

OTAP stickies have a LTO of things you should be looking at, ask questions in peoples threads, keep going with it, read different photography forums, make sure its 100% right for you

AND PLEASE

post some of your current photos :) I'd like to see what you've got going on.

Hope any of that helps, and makes you rethink a little, not trying to be a deek to ya, just trying to give you the same tough advice.

Edit: ALSO I ask

Where do you live, what is around you thats interesting to shoot that you could try all different settings on?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I know the feeling. I studied photography in college, went to two different photo schools and there were still times when I'd stop and scratch my head over a particular term or understanding a method.

Today however, terms like f/stops, DOF, shutter speed, ISO, bracketing, etc. etc. are as common to me as everyday terminology.

I would recommend that you find a community college that has photography courses and take a few beginner courses. Maybe you can find a local photo club or other organization where you can ask questions of the members.

I'm like you...I learn quicker by having someone show me as opposed to reading about the process.

4. FindersKeepers

Good answer as well :)

5. FindersKeepers

Julia!

Found something:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3698898

On the bottom of post 1 is D50 guide :big grin:

I just skimmed through it and found a lot of useful information on the guide... Maybe it will help you a little bit more as well and of course dont be afraid to ask ask ask! :big grin:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. cgper

cgper OT Supporter

i know it gets flamed a lot but i learned a good amount from POTN and also FM. havent read anything and i would say that i understand most things.
    its all about the relationship between ISO, SHUTTER SPEED AND APERTURE. once i understood that relationship, everything becomes much clearer.

www.fredmiranda.com
    www.photography-on-the.net

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

n00ds go a long way around here

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

she was here before you.

9. julia!

julia! New Member

I will look into the guides and stuff you guys listed. As far as the book thing I am just hoping I guess in a way that it will be a little more clear as opposed to some of the things I have seen so far. I really appreciate the responses though seriously. I was hoping to not get flamed for the thread. anyways some of my stuff is on here.

artbreak.com/halfwayelite

also. I'm in tampa too BLU-s15 :)

10. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I have a friend that just recently bought a Nikon D80, but doesn't understand any of the settings. He shoots in auto mode most of the time but wants to learn more, just as you do. I would try and answer his questions as best as possible, and it's not that hard to help others out with different cameras (I have a Canon).

I figured a book might do him some good as well, so I bought him the D80 Digital Field Guide by David Busch. It's fairly inexpensive and mostly pictures so that you can follow along with the steps in the book and see exactly how it looks on your camera.

Here's the D50 guide for your camera at Amazon for $13
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D50-Dig...r_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206063556&sr=8-17

11. FindersKeepers

:doh:

12. mojito

mojito New Member

I went to school for it as well (same school as JColeman in fact).

But a lot of it I learned before hand on my own. Practicing is the best way, all school does is provide you with the written info/lecture, then you go out and practice. You could buy a book or take a workshop and get he same basic bits, then go practice.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

their current camera model has no bearing on anything.

14. FindersKeepers

She said she wanted to learn more features I was looking for links and things that would help :squint:

But I found it in another thread and found the D50 info in the PDF Faqs :wiggle:

15. julia!

julia! New Member

haha thats seriously the book and I even bought it from amazon for like 6 bucks. I am glad you suggested it. It gives me hope.

thank you guys.

16. FindersKeepers

Clear your PM box lol